Download issue

comp illiterate

Hi, we went from Xfinity broadband to CenturyLink fiber and everything is fine except my Ethernet connected Ricoh network printer. My neighbor is a programmer and he came over and helped me out. Knows WAY more than me.

We got most of the computers to print but my main computer won't work. The computers that had windows 11 on them worked fine but on the windows 10 he had to install a different driver which is weird because the old driver worked on the broadband. Anyhow, the problem is is my main computer won't install the driver. So you try to reload the printer, and he did it more than 1 way and it won't complete the install.

Any recommendations?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you totally uninstalled the printer and then tried installing it? Remove any printer software and try it again. What error messages is it giving?

Try this since its conntected to the network via ethernet cable.

Go into devices and printers and click on add a printer up top. It should automatically find it since its attached to the network and if you select it and click on next it will automatically download and install the correct software for it. If the printer already has an IP address then you can also enter that to connect to it.

comp illiterate

Yes he's tried all of that. It just won't reload the printer back on the computer..... automatically or manually. The driver downloads to the computer but fails in the install process.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Besides reinstalling windows, really can't specifically say what to try next. Are you running any firewall software? That may be stopping it. Is it a wireless printer that you can try setting up that way? There should be an message or code on why it failed to install.

comp illiterate

Besides reinstalling windows, really can't specifically say what to try next. Are you running any firewall software? That may be stopping it. Is it a wireless printer that you can try setting up that way? There should be an message or code on why it failed to install.
We turned Norton off and tried that....I forget the error message it left at the end but I will get it when I can.

comp illiterate

Okay neighbor came over 2 more times tried all kinds of things still won't load. Something about needing 64 bit computer but the computer is 64 bit.

Decided to do a reformat of windows 10 but it won't let me. This computer started as a Windows 7 computer and then I did a Windows 10 upgrade years ago. Never came with a disk but the product code is on the computer. Here is a picture of the reason to not format.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Edit, it won't let me post the picture. (To big)

It says.....

Could not find recovery environment.

Insert your windows installation or recovery media, and restart your PC with the media.

I have no media.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If all you want to do is do a fresh install of 10 then you just need to create the usb installation media here.

Download the tool and follow the prompts to create the usb drive. Then boot to it and follow the prompts to delete all exisiting partitions and repartition and install. Do not enter a key when asked, click on where it says I don't have a key. Install windows 10 but first make sure you are disconnected from the internet or you'll have to create a microsoft account instead of a local account. When its done installing and at the desktop, it will take a few seconds but it will auto activate the OS.

What model of printer is it by the way?

comp illiterate

If all you want to do is do a fresh install of 10 then you just need to create the usb installation media here.

Download the tool and follow the prompts to create the usb drive. Then boot to it and follow the prompts to delete all exisiting partitions and repartition and install. Do not enter a key when asked, click on where it says I don't have a key. Install windows 10 but first make sure you are disconnected from the internet or you'll have to create a microsoft account instead of a local account. When its done installing and at the desktop, it will take a few seconds but it will auto activate the OS.

Ricoh Aficio mcp 2050

Big expensive one hooked up by Ethernet and used by 5 computers. All working but 1

comp illiterate

Did this over the weekend and it worked so thank you. Reformatting windows 10 sure is harder than past operating systems.

Now I have to re-install all the other apps and whatnot and finish the custom settings. Very time consuming.

Thanks again.