WIndows 10 Drive C got full very quickly!

mohtaj

Hi all,

I have a laptop that has two drives of C:\ and D:\
I was downloading a huge file (about 20 Gb) via Firefox downloader and it got interrupted halfway and the download had to start from the beginning. I did not redownload but I noticed that the interrupted file apparently remained/remains in my C drive and I tried so hard to locate the file to delete it as it uses a lot of space.
It has been a couple of months since that happened and now my C drive has 13.8 Gb out of 118 Gb of free space

Appreciate the help!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All files downloaded should be going to your downloads folder unless you have them set to go somewhere else.

C:\Users\xxxx\Downloads

Where xxxx is your account name.

If your C drive is only 118 gb how big is your D drive and how much space is left? Is it 2 physical drives or 1 drive partitioned into 2 drives? If 1 drive partitioned into 2 you should be able to move some open space from D to C using a partition manager like Minitool paritition wizard.

mohtaj

It is an ASUS Q526F model.

My D drive is 1TB (931 Gb usable storage. And it has 285 Gb free at the moment)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so you have 2 physical drives then. I would recommend getting a bigger boot drive then. Is it an ssd drive or mechanical platter drive? Would definitely get a sata ssd like a 500 gb and clone existing to new.

mohtaj

Thank you so much for your response.
Could you direct me to a good brand like on Amazon?
Also, is it possible now that I need to expand my C Drive, to get a bigger D drive as well? if yes, I'd need some suggestions for that one as well, like an Amazon or bhphotovideo.com link for a 2TB or more, please.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You still have plenty of space on the D drive. Would recommend samsung 870 evo or western digital sa510.

beers

Staff member
A 128 GB SSD is pretty small by most standards. I bought one of those in 2010.

You're going to have to shuffle a lot of data to your larger storage volume, it may be worth relocating those common folders like downloads to the D drive (although you would lose performance with mechanical vs ssd).

mohtaj

Thank you for your reply. So at this point what do I need to do with the stuff in my C drive and also the Windows 10 that was already installed when I bought the laptop? Do I need to relocate anything? Are they going to add the new SSD or replace it?

mohtaj

So at some point, I WILL have to get a new Windows 10 to install on the new SSD? Because the new and the old SSDs are physically different drives and cannot be plugged into the laptop simultaneously?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No you don't need a new copy of windows. All you need to do is clone the old drive to the new one. Then take the old drive out, put the new one in and go. If you don't feel comfortable doing it then take it to a shop and have them do it.