Driver for Epson 1240u Scanner in Windows 10

Goldie

Is there a free (or cheap!) driver available for the Epson Perfection 1240u scanner in Windows 10?
Its a great scanner, but the only driver I can find for it is VueScan which costs £31.
Have I any other options if I want to continue using this scanner?
Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you pay for a driver you are looking on the wrong site. Drivers are always free from the manufacturers website.

Goldie

Unfortunately, Epson no longer offers anything for the 1240 - except point you in the direction of VueScan!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, Epson no longer offers anything for the 1240 - except point you in the direction of VueScan!
But my point still stands. Try the windows 7 driver and see if it works. If not, you'll have to get a new scanner or a multifunction printer that prints, scan, copies, faxes.

Goldie

I tried to download the Windows 7 driver from the Epson site, but it only gives me the following 3 options:
a - to repair; b - to modify or c - to uninstall.
The same happened when I selected one of the later Perfection scanner models just to try.
I assume it simply recognises my Windows 10 64-bit system as not compatible.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
On some driver installs, if its already installed, then you need to uninstall it first. Then try reinstalling again. Sometimes you can get lucky using windows 7 drivers for 10.

Goldie

Hi John - looked in my programmes and found an Epson Twain V.5 driver, which I uninstalled as you suggested. It then accepted a fresh download from the Epson site (the latest being the Windows 7 version). I then clicked on the scanner in Control Panel - Devices, only to get the same message as before - "WIA driver required for this device".
So its looking very much like my options are: a) say goodbye to the scanner, or b) fork out to Vuescan for their driver (which worked in the free trial - complete with the Viewscan watermark!).
As I only use the scanner occasionally, I don't think I'll be giving Viewscan my cash anytime soon. Its a shame, because it scans photographs exceptionally well!