Dropbox features high in CPU activity

eem2am

Hi,
My Acer aspire 3 laptop is slow running...."blue circling", "hangs", "freezes", "click and wait", etc etc
When it was doing nothing, i went to the task manager and looked at CPU activity ,and saw the attached.
Do you know why "dropbox" is in there? (as attached)
I dont even remember installing dropbox.
Will it be ok to just un-install dropbox?
I bought this laptop new in jan 2021 (its system info is also as attached)

Attachments

• Dropbox in CPU activity.jpg
    Dropbox in CPU activity.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 3
  • system info 1_Acer aspire 3.jpg
    system info 1_Acer aspire 3.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 3
  • system info 2_Acer aspire 3.jpg
    system info 2_Acer aspire 3.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The disk usage problem isn't caused by Drop box though. You sorted it by cpu usage, Click on the disk usage so you see the down arrow on that column like you see on cpu usage in that image you posted, then you will see what is actually using your disk.

The problem you have is that its only a dual core 1.2ghz cpu, 4gb of ram, and most likely a mechanical hard drive instead of an ssd. Probably one of those $250 specials.

You really need a quad core with 8gb of ram and SSD.

eem2am

Thanks, what processor speed is needed?
Also, does "quad core" appear in the brochure for a laptop? i am not familiar with seeing it?
Does "quad core" have a different name also?

The problem you have is that its only a dual core 1.2ghz cpu, 4gb of ram, and most likely a mechanical hard drive instead of an ssd. Probably one of those $250 specials.
Thanks, do you think i can make it quicker by running an earlier version of windows? If so which one?
Also, do you know where you go to buy earlier versions of windows?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, what processor speed is needed?
Anything around or above 2.5 ghz
Also, does "quad core" appear in the brochure for a laptop? i am not familiar with seeing it?
Does "quad core" have a different name also?
It depends on how manufacturer describes it. Quad core just means its a 4 core cpu as quad means 4. You may see a description such as 4 core 4 thread or 4 core 8 thread description, the 4 core 8 thread option would be better.
Thanks, do you think i can make it quicker by running an earlier version of windows? If so which one?
No, I wouldn't be doing that. Installing windows 7 isn't gonna make it any faster and you may have issues finding drivers that work.

Just take this as lesson learned to do your research on everything you buy first. You need to make sure it will do whatever you want it to do.

If there are any online shops where you can purchase laptops, let us know and we can recommend different ones for you.