Dual Booting Windows and Linux

N0RMAN

I have recently ordered a second hard drive, and I'm thinking about putting Windows XP on one, and Linux on another.

I know a moderate amount of information about computers, but I'm not sure if I could do this by my self.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a reading, or something of the sort that could help me?

Thank you
~N0RMAN

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
VirtualPC is more of a novalty I would think and really kills the efficiency of the system. :)

xantha88

what do u mean?? praetor

if u use virtual pc u dont have to reboot whan u want 2 use an anthor os that what i have read somewhere

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes thats all true but the thing is, you run VirtualPC from within a Windows environment which means regardless of what the other OS is doing ... Windows is still running ... and using reseouces ... which meansit wont be running as efficient as if the other OS was running purely :)

Super_Nova

Install windows first. During linux setup mount / on the second hard drive. / being the root directory for linux. There should also be an option along the way to select grub or lilo. Those are boot loaders. I can't give any more specific info because different linux distros look different when you're installing them.

N0RMAN

Virtual PC

If it's free, then my mistake. Just thought it was commercial software, which is outragously priced.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If it's free, then my mistake. Just thought it was commercial software, which is outragously priced.
Ah true didnt think of that but in all honesty, its not that badly overpriced :)