dual-core processors

Scrapped>.<

hi
can some tell me what dual-core processors is, when talking about the clock speed of the Processors? which one is faster? Single processor 3.2GHz or Dual-Core Processors 3.2Ghz?

what are Dual-Core Processors good for? For me I only use computer for Downloading, watching movies, and sometimes for photo and video Editing. so is there a point for me to get a Dual-Core Processors? (lets not talk about money.)

dual-core processors, does that mean a computer with two Processors? if so what are the difference in speed?

For examble, a dual-core processors with 3.2GHz, do one add the two together to get a 6.4GHz?

I read someware that two 3.2GHz does not mean 6.4GHz it just that two chip will be sharing the speed when useing the Apps. What is the differents?

For example lets say an Apps required (i have i ideal so that is just a thought) 1Ghz to run it, so instead of useing 1Ghz from the one processor, it will only use .5Ghz from each instead.

If that is true why is it not 6.4Ghz?

here are two articals about dual-core processors that i read. here is the link.

Intel: http://news.com.com/Intels+dual-core+Xeon+due+in+2006/2100-1006_3-5416330.html?tag=nl

AMD: http://news.com.com/AMDs+dual-core+performance+boost/2100-1006_3-5397762.html?tag=nl

Last edited:

calvinius

i never used a dual processor system but as far as im aware the two processors dont add together, i think they are just used for certain applications like video editing that have the capability to use dual processors
if your computer is for gaming etc i think you would be better off with a better single processor

samuelhii_mei

dual-core processors is for server usage and one of the processors doesnt work until the other one runs to its maximum speed!!
i think there is no point for u to get one unless you really dont care about money!! :)

Last edited:

Rambo

Hmmm, I'm interested too now. So, is it better to have a dual core processor than a single one?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I'm pretty sure the duel core processer is just one single processer.

Oh ya, I think this is in the wrong forum :)

Scrapped>.<

Blue said:
I'm pretty sure the duel core processer is just one single processer.

Oh ya, I think this is in the wrong forum :)

hahahahahahah. Ya your right. I notiched this after i posted it. :p

So can some one tell me which one is better.

if the other processer is not used untill the first one is all out of juice, does that mean it is 6.4Ghz than :confused:

Lorand, Praetor Don't know if your two show this post yet but if u did please help me out here and people who wants to know.

Thanks

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
if the other processer is not used untill the first one is all out of juice, does that mean it is 6.4Ghz than

I believe the duel core would be better for it's intended purpose which would be more of a server cpu but for reguler use I would recommend a high end single core cpu. As for the 6.4ghz I would say no but that would be more of a guess :).. but I'd imaging that all it would mean is that more could be processed by the cpu at once so basicly the processing power is doubled but that doesn't necessarily mean speed but some would argue that more processing power means more speed and they would be right in a sense although it doesn't mean double speed or in this case 6.4ghz.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
can some tell me what dual-core processors is,
One chip, two cores.

can some tell me what dual-core processors is, when talking about the clock speed of the Processors?
Core and clock are independence parameters. One is physical (core), one is a 'state' (clock).

which one is faster? Single processor 3.2GHz or Dual-Core Processors 3.2Ghz?
The Single core because the Dual Core one doesnt exist yet :p

what are Dual-Core Processors good for?
Dunno if it will be an issue. Dual Core procs will permeate throughout the industry ... just give it some time :)

For me I only use computer for Downloading, watching movies, and sometimes for photo and video Editing. so is there a point for me to get a Dual-Core Processors? (lets not talk about money.)
Yes it will be worth getting Dual core because by the time they are mainstream, single core procs wont be around :)

dual-core processors, does that mean a computer with two Processors?
It has two cores ... cores are, within this scope, a component of the processor.

if so what are the difference in speed?
Nothing. Both cores will operate at whatever speed they are rated at.

For examble, a dual-core processors with 3.2GHz, do one add the two together to get a 6.4GHz?
No. You can almost never ever do that. For most smaller configurations, a logarithmic scale is pretty damn good.

I read someware that two 3.2GHz does not mean 6.4GHz
Quite correct. 6.4GHz is a marketing thing.

I read someware that two 3.2GHz does not mean 6.4GHz it just that two chip will be sharing the speed when useing the Apps.
Also correct. While the speed will most likely be significantly improved over 3.2GHz, it will not be anywhere near a 6.4GHz single chip solution (again logarithmic vs linear)

What is the differents?
Between what and what?

For example lets say an Apps required (i have I ideal so that is just a thought) 1Ghz to run it, so instead of useing 1Ghz from the one processor, it will only use .5Ghz from each instead.
1. Dual cores will require some extensive work to be done with the OS and since MS is the dominant player, is dependent on how Microsoft does its behind-the-scenes work
2. Again, linear vs logarithmic, 500MHz+500MHz not neccesarily 1GHz

If that is true why is it not 6.4Ghz?
Because its not (linear vs log)

i never used a dual processor system
Phew!

So, is it better to have a dual core processor than a single one?
When they come out, yes. But thats some time from now.

I'm pretty sure the duel core processer is just one single processer
It is. It just has two cores within it

Oh ya, I think this is in the wrong forum
Thanks. I almost missed that heehee

Lorand, Praetor Don't know if your two show this post yet but if u did please help me out here and people who wants to know.
Im gone for one afternoon ........... :D