dvd burner cant burn!!!!

uzi_4u2

Hi im new to the forum and i have some difficulties getting my dvd burner to work. I have a PIONEER dvd-rw and i have burned dvds before. Its just recently that i cant drag files into the dvd drive when you have a blank cd installed. An windows error comes up. The wierd thing is that if my dvd rw is empty then it saids DVD-RW Drive but when i insert a cd into it, it saids cd rom?!?!?!?!?! any ideas??? im really running outa space and need this to work!!!! thx

PC eye

banned
You are probably running into some bad media not being recognised by the burning software or Windows. You can change either or both media and software if the drive is still good. Using the command prompt if you are unable to access the drive with a disk in it the media is most likely the problem being seen. You may want to try a different brand of blank media there.

Aero

PC eye said:
You may want to try a different brand of blank media there.

i concur lol...i had a problem with my dvd burner doin the same thing u describe and we had to change to +R instead of -R...if u try that tho make sure ur burner can read and write both....usually they can...so try a +RW instead

PC eye

banned
At times I've seen blank media with something liike "tda 000301291" nonsense on it already in a sealed package! Track data information should only be seen after a disk is burned! But the clear problem is the lack of detection especially if changing brands recently or getting a bad lot of blanks. That's the most common over the drive itself if a different set of blanks is tried and sees good burns. A Sony model dvd writer seems to have no problems until you get some with writing on it already where you get the lack of disk space message. But the same drive refuses to read other then XP or other software installation disks. That is far from a combined cd-r/rw/dvd combo there.

uzi_4u2

well how do u check wich one ur dvdrw can write?? plus the dvd im using right now can be written i no that for sure cause ive used it from the same package before.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

PC eye

banned
A dvd burner should readily write to either a blank dvd-r or dvd-rw(rewritable) disk without problems if the drive is working properly and the blank media is the correct type with no defects. Since you are using a rewritable disk the drive should be reading that disk with ease unless the disk was somehow with large scratches or smeared with finger prints from handling. A good lens cleaner to see if the drive's reading lens there is blurred can also help if something smeared the lens inside.

The item to consider is a possible fault with the drive has developed and that would have to be replaced. You can also check to see if the cable on the drive is parttially pulled out as well. A clogged lens, bad or loose cable, and even a failed reading lens would be the three main things to look at.

uzi_4u2

im using brandnew dvd-Rs and RWs and im pretty sure everythings pluged in. Should i return this to my local pc shop cause i have a warrenty on it that covers broken parts.

PC eye

banned
If you are under warranty from a local dealer you would want to bring it in to avoid ruining that. Let them go through it since they are covering it under the warranty. If the drive simply quit it will their headache to replace.

Maddhatter

recording may not be enabled on the drive its simple to check this....double click my computer and right click the dvd drive and click properties then click the recording tab and make sure enable cd recording on this drive is checked

PC eye

banned
It sounds like the drive itself. But the one way to find out is to bring it in under the warranty to avoid nulling it. Let them go through everything to find out what the actual cause is. This way you are covered.

uzi_4u2

O i no what the problum is. whenever i open itunes it saids cd and dvd burn regestries are missing. so how do i get them back???

PC eye

banned
Unfortunately you may have to reinstall ITunes and create new projects. That's more of a software not hardware problem if that is the only thing you are having trouble with. If you can easily burn a data disk to backup some files the drive is not the problem.

uzi_4u2

ok before i couldnt even use this dvd rw drive it wouldnt read or write. Im thinking i have to delete something in the regestry cause thats how i fixed my reading problum. maybe a nother regestry will help my drive burn?

Bobo

banned
uzi_4u2 said:
maybe a nother regestry will help my drive burn?
You can't get "another registry." Uninstall and reinstall your drive, and uninstall and reinstall Itunes

PC eye

banned
In order to "get another registry" you would have to reinstall Windows itself. A registry edit is only done when you have a specific set on instructions explaining how to remove or create a new value there. If you go in and remove the wrong thing you could end up having to reinstall Windows just to get the system itself to run. With your reference of missing registry values the total removal of ITunes as well as the folders followed by a fresh installation to follow that would correct the software part of it. But if the drive itself is failing that will cause the problem you are having.

ADE

banned
Ya know the same thing happened to me. What I found out is that the other CD/DVD drive caused a conflict and when I took it out my DVD-RW finally worked. If you have a second drive try taking out the non-DVD-RW drive.

PC eye

banned
A bad or cheap brand of drive on the same cable can see problems at times. Another thought was getting a drive and lens cleaner to see if that helps. Or you may have to switch brands of media used. When opening a new pack of two different brands one surprise was seeing track data information on the new blanks despite the factory seal being opened for the first time. So far I've never had a problem with a cd and dvd writer installed at the same time other then bad disks. If you find the drive itself is bad stick with a good name for the replacement.