Dvd-rom Problems

wesa

I just bought a compaq evo. I had them put windows xp on it. I think it originally had windows 2000. I think everything works fine except the DVD-ROM. The computer tested it and said it was working fine, but it doesn't play any type of a cd. Not music cd, cd-rom, or dvd. I had them put in a cd-rw, and it works fine. I don't think it's broken because it opens closes, and the computer says it's fine. This is what i think: the dvd-rom only works with windows 2000 or whatever. If so, how can i make it work with windows xp? I could take it back and have them fix it, but i don't want to wait 2 days and make the 17 mile drive. Does anyone know how to fix this?

wesa

P.S. In both Power DVD and Windows Media Player, it says there is no disk. Do I need to set one of those stupid regions?

I bet they didn't set the jumpers right when they put in the cd-rw. I guess I'll open the case and see. Should they both be cable select or dvd-rom:master and cd-rw:slave? Man, computers are frustrating. The cd-rw came from my old computer and i think it was set at slave, and the dvd-rom might be set at cable-select. If that's the case i'd just set dvd at master. right?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
P.S. In both Power DVD and Windows Media Player, it says there is no disk. Do I need to set one of those stupid regions?
If it doesnt work with CDROM/CDR discs then its not a region thing because CDs dont have region codes. As you've noted, it works with CDRWs so I doubt thats the cause.

As for inter-OS compatability, if it works under W2K, the odds of it not working under WXP are slim - especially on an OEM system. What you can try though, is to uninstall the drive, reboot and let Windows reinstall it for you :)

If you've got burner problems, what you might need to do is to uninstall the drive from Windows, reboot and let Windows automatically reinstall the device for you. To do so, (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Hardware, (4) Device Manager, (5) Expand the DVD/CD-ROM Drives entry, right click on thr troublesome drive and uninstall it. Now simply reboot and let Windows try and repair itself.

Whats the make and model of the computer?

I bet they didn't set the jumpers right when they put in the cd-rw.
Then you wouldnt be able to get CDRWs to work

Should they both be cable select or dvd-rom:master and cd-rw:slave?
Doesnt matter

If that's the case i'd just set dvd at master. right?
Depends what the CS. resolves to :)