DVD's made with Pioneer 108 won't play on APEX player

RPT

I’m having a rather odd hardware problem, and I wonder if anyone has some insight or advice. I have 2 DVD players … an old APEX 500 (still works great) and a newer JVC home entertainment system. I decided to get a DVD burner specifically so I could make DVD’s to watch on both systems, but especially the APEX. I first bought an HP external DVD burner, with a batch of Memorex DVD+R disks (web research indicated that the APEX 500 would only play +R’s). I authored & burned a couple of DVD’s using Ulead Movie Factory 3 and they worked great on both the JVC & the APEX. I decided to return the external DVD burner and purchase an internal, and after some research I settled on the Pioneer DVR-108 dual layer burner … good reviews, good price. I’ve now created a couple of DVD’s on the same Memorex DVD+R disks using the same Ulead software. They work fine in the JVC … but they won’t work in the APEX!! After spinning around for a bit, the APEX indicates that the disk is damaged, and then indicates there is no disk. Again, same brand disks & same software.
Can anyone help? I’d like to be able to keep the DVR-108, but if I can’t produce disks that work on the APEX it really defeats the main purpose of buying it in the first place
Thanks!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Burn slower?
2. What are the burn settings you've used?
3. What are the encode settings youve used? :)

RPT

1. Burn slower?
2. What are the burn settings you've used?
3. What are the encode settings youve used?

I've trying burning as low as 2.4X .... plays on JVC but not APEX.
I've encoded & burned avi. Xvid & DivX files, and I've burned directly from ifo & vob files ... ditto
The encoding settings and the burn setting are Ulead default settings (sorry ... I know that's not much help) :eek:

HotRodderx

i use dvd x copy and have a 4 year old apex and it works great i have a lite on burner and i use just generic dvd-media i have used + and - dvds in the apex with no issues

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a test: grab a DVD that you burned with the older drive, image it and burn it using the new drive :)

Sophocles

VIP Member
Memorex's quality is inconsistent at best (usually made by CMC) not very good media at all, and the message you received is often the result of a media problem. Other stand alones might read the same error as a dirty disc.

So why does it play in the JVC? Some stand alone units are better at correcting erros than others but the errors are still there. Try a higher quality media such as Ritek and then try again and I think you just might have resolved your problem.:)

I realize that this thread is a bit dated but better late than never.

Good Luck