Emachines PC and Moniter problem

Ares07

We tried to hook up a brand new Emachines computer. First thing we did was open it up and take the ram out and put it back in (It went back in the exact same slot and i doubt seriously that this contributed to the problem). Next thing I did was I took a videocard from his old computer and put it in the new Emachines (this is probley where the problem came from, although Im not sure how). It was some sort of radeon card, Im not sure because he threw the box away. There was no videocard previously installed, it was one of the integrated things. Next we hooked the computer up (every cord was connected, Ive hooked computers up plenty of times, im sure they were all right). Everything had power and was looking good, and we turned it on. The computer started making beeping noises and the moniter said "Check PC and conections, Moniter is working properly". We hooked up another moniter to the Emachines to see if the cord was messed up, but the computer beeped and the moniter didnt work again. We then took the video card out that we had stuck in previously, and tried running the moniter on the origional moniter hook-up slot thing. The computer beeped, we swore, and then we just gave up. Any help would be appreciated, and even if you read this massive post, thanks. I would like to get his comp up and running before I leave tomorrow, If I dont, oh well, but it would be nice if I did. Thanks in advance..

Edit: Hey im not a computer newbie... :( Not new, Im a computer suckbie.

Last edited:

maverick77_uk

Hi,

How many beeps is it making? The number and / or length of beeps is a message from the computer BIOS letting you know whats wrong. Was this computer working OK first? Or did you decide to open it up and stuff the ram in and out before you'd even turned it on initially? >;)

To change from on-board video to a video card, you'd probably have to change a jumper on the MoBo to turn off the on-board video. Also, if its a new comp with a AGP3 8X video card slot (0.8V signalling) and you've jammed an old 4X or 2X (AGP2 or 1 respectively) card in, that can damage the MoBo and vid card.

As ther seems to be a few people asking about 8X vs 4X AGP, I've stuck a post up trying to explain what I know.

Cheers!