emergency help, please

Doc_69

Hello all,

i really need your help with this one. For some reason today all the files in "my Documents" folder vanished. I've tried everything to get them back. I've tried; system restore, file recovery programs. i have not deleted anything since i've discovered the files were gone. The file recovery programs can't even find the files, so I can restore them. I had some very important files in that folder. If someone could helpe get those files back, I would be forever in your debt..

Thanks

mgoldb2

VIP Member
1. What windows are you running
2. Did you log on as a different user all user has there own my document folder.
3. try going through the physical path instead of using a short cut go to my computer then click c drive then click documents and settings then click the user that you log in as when you put the things in my documents, then click my documents. If not there then go back to documents and settings and try all the users my document folder.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
did you try using search to look for a file that suppose to be in my documents. If that shows up it might lead you to where all the files are.

Lax

VIP Member
Could also have been a virus that deleted the files but that seems unlikely.

Doc_69

tried searching for the files, no luck :( Virus scanner showed nothing...
I have tried everything that i know of.. these files just disappeared (poof)

mgoldb2

VIP Member
This a long shot but try going to control panel/folder options/ uncheck hide protected os files. Then go to my computer then c drive then RECYCLER folder and see if it in there. dont just click recycle bin shortcut because it could be in the folder RECYCLER which the recycle bin is in.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
after you unhide protected os files(this is different then hidden files) the recycler folder should be directly in the main c:\ drive.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
make sure in folder option you have both display hidden files(this box you need to check) and display protected os files(this box you need to uncheck)

Doc_69

i found the recycler file and there were some files in it, but nor the ones i lost. Thanks for all your help. Any other suggestions??

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Do you know if the files still on your computer for saw. one way to know if you know how much harddrive space you had with the files do you have more harddrive space now then maybe the files are gone otherwise they must be somewhere.