epox 8kha+ vs. Dell 2400

Cams

New Member
I was given a working computer with a epox 8kha+ motherboard in it minus the HDD. I have gutted the tower and packed it all up cause I cant take the case on the plane (i'm on holiday in FL). My question is can I build a computer that will out perform the 2400? I would think yes because of overclocking options and the AGP slot. But I also say no because my celeron in the dell runs at 2.4GHz and the epox 8kha+ has a athlon 1.8GHz processor in it. Can I upgrade to a processor of the same speed or greater on this board? I know the sempron 3300+ will fit the socket but not sure if the board supports it. Anyhow, just looking to have some fun with some outsated stuff as usual. BTW when I opened the case I found three fans dead in it and a fourth in the PSU (threw that away) because of all the dog hair and dust in it. :eek:
 
I was given a working computer with a epox 8kha+ motherboard in it minus the HDD. I have gutted the tower and packed it all up cause I cant take the case on the plane (i'm on holiday in FL). My question is can I build a computer that will out perform the 2400? I would think yes because of overclocking options and the AGP slot. But I also say no because my celeron in the dell runs at 2.4GHz and the epox 8kha+ has a athlon 1.8GHz processor in it. Can I upgrade to a processor of the same speed or greater on this board? I know the sempron 3300+ will fit the socket but not sure if the board supports it. Anyhow, just looking to have some fun with some outsated stuff as usual. BTW when I opened the case I found three fans dead in it and a fourth in the PSU (threw that away) because of all the dog hair and dust in it. :eek:

The 8KHA+ Supports

Duron to.............................................1300
Athlon B to..........................................1400
Athlon C to..........................................1400
Athlon XP(Palamino core) to....................2100+
Athlon XP(Thoroughbred core FSB266) to..2600+
Athlon XP(Thoroughbred core FSB333) to..2800+

Reference here

Manuals, drivers and support here. look in the section for discontinued boards.

This board will not support XP (Barton core) or Sempron CPUs unless EPOX has an updated BIOS for it.

Similar in performance and features to a Shuttle AK31V3.1 it has a nice BIOS to OC with and if you get a Tbred Athlon with the unlocked multiplier they OC quite nicely. Not sure if your MB features the ability to untie the RAM from the CPU FSB (if I recall right my Shuttle does, but I'd have to look at the BIOS on it again).

Your best bet if you want to experiment with this MB is to obtain parts from a used parts shop. Athlon XP Tbreds above 2400+ are going to be a bit hard to find. If you find one that your board supports, don't let them dog you on the price of the CPU chip.

Fun to play with. With 7200rpm IDE drives it will run Windows XP or lightweight Linux distros quite nicely. Don't spend a lot of cash on it though and don't expect blistering performance.

YMMV
 
Back
Top