erm....!@£$!$!

binj112

hey all

like an idiot i have obviously done something very very wrong. I am building my own computer and purchased all the components except fro the video card. Tonight i thought id hook everything up inside the case (Power leads blah blah blah) and see if it boots fine. So i switch it all on and the green light comes on (hurrah!) but then switches off and i smell something burning (@!$£!).

So, what is the worst possible damage caused by my stupidity!

Cheers

Ben

XHotxEx791

Not enough information to know? Perhaps you fried your motherboard. Maybe your ram sticks. unlikely for your processor.
Roger

binj112

my system that I put together is as follows: -

Gigabye KV8TPro Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
512MB PC3200 RAM
160GB SATA Hard Drive
Lite-On DVD Writer

I made sure that all the components work together. Im hoping that the PSU has died. This is because It is the PSU that came with the case and it was a cheap case too.

Geoff

VIP Member
the same exact thing happened to me, i was putting a computer together for someone, and i thought i had everything installed right, i turned it on, it worked for a few seconds, then i smelled something so i quickly shut it off and unplugged it. It turned out that i put the processor in the wrong way :( . Now i dont know what your processor looks like, but for me i was able to tell it was in the wrong way because the part that has no pin sockets now had 2 new holes in it. So check that out. ANd with my Intel P4, i just had to replace the motherboard, not the cpu.

binj112

nah, i checked the CPU and it is installed the correct way. Any other ideas?

If I cant fix it....would anyone like to buy the system? lol :D

Ben

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
smell the back od the psu to tell if its that the fried. oh, and i wouldnt advise using the psu in the case, for this reason ;) read PSU101 to find out what you need in a good psu

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I made sure that all the components work together. Im hoping that the PSU has died. This is because It is the PSU that came with the case and it was a cheap case too.
As per the Questions 101 ... what's the PSU?

i smell something burning (@!$£!).
What exactly is/was burning?