Error "Remote Proc. Failed and did not run"

DreamTheater

I have been trying to help out a friend with there computer with Windows 7 but i keep getting a error that says "The remote procedure call failed and did not run Event"

So, when i click on My Computer i get that error at time. Then at other times MC opens. Then i right click on the desktop and explorer stalls and I have to restart it. Then sometimes programs will open in the background. What would cause this? And how can i fix it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First thing I would check would be for malware/viruses since they like to use the rpc program especially msblaster and sasser worms.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If you continue to experience problems after doing this, please post a HijackThis log by doing the following:

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log