Extended Warranty???

heavyc

I was just wondering if getting an extended warranty from Best Buy for $250 for 3 years is worth it. I plan on purchasing a HP zv6131us notebook mainly for business and school. I was just wondering if the extended warranty is really worth it or if it is a way for the store to get money because I dont really have the money to get it but if it's worth it I can probably scrap up the money to purchase it?? Thanks

alanuofm

VIP Member
what are the specs on the laptop. we'll see if the laptop is worth being purchased. i don't like dealing with best buy items because they tend to jip people on their video card, ram and harddrive speed and they'll still say its the best in the market.

alanuofm

VIP Member
what do you plan to do with the laptop? maybe we can help you pick a more suitable laptop.

like i said, the video card is crap, the ram is pc2700. best buy likes to put on a sweet processor then give you crap everything else.

heavyc

the only reason i am picking from best buy is because my mother is buying this for me and she only has thier credit card. I am just mostly going to do school work and what not because i am just doing this until I am done with school.

alanuofm

VIP Member
yeah school is a long four years. one rule of thumb people like to use when building desktops is if anything is going to go wrong, it'll go wrong in the first month. however laptops are hard to mess with. personally i wouldn't pay the 250 and just be extra careful. i guess its a personal preference. if you have bad luck with computers and are clumsy and like to spill stuff then go for it. if you are a careful person i don't see the need to.

that laptop should be fine if you don't do any gaming. that laptop is 8 pounds which is considered very heavy. if you can convince your mom to look into dell or hp or something, you can find lighter computers for a better price.

hope that helps

heavyc

i actually only have 3 semesters left and I am believe it or not a computer science major. but the laptop that i was looking at is actually a HP and no i am not going to do any gaming just web browsing and doing my programming work on it.

alanuofm

VIP Member
i've heard pluses and minuses from the best buy warranty. my gf has a laptop there and it totally died and they gave her another laptop free. but yet again she doesn't know what shes doesn't know what shes doing and probably left the laptop sitting on carpet until the processor and mobo couldn't take the heat any more. if you're smart about what you're doing just stick it out with the 1 year.