external hdd

djt0506

Hi all. Im thinking of purchasing an external hard disk (200GB - iomega). The one im talking about can be found directly here:

http://www.iomega-europe.com/eu/prod...silver_200g b

i have a wireless network set up in my house. Me and my da have laptops. I was just wondering if it would be possible to use this hard disk as a wireless storage hard disk so that we can both access the hard disk wirelessly. And also what would it take to do this? does the hard disk have to be constantly connected to an always on computer to be able to be accessed wirelessly by the other 2 laptops?

Thanx all forumin advance.

kof2000

yes it has to be on 24/7 if you want to access it anytime. i'm not too sure if it works with external devices i've only tried with internals. anyways how much is that? if you can just get an big internal drive and pickup an enclosure. if that iomega is over 120 you can do better getting them seperate hdd+enclosure.

Mr.Suave

ok woah! y did you start 4 threads of the same topic?!?!?! never do that.

and from my understanding you need to have a computer on to access the things from, and since you need a comp, y use an external HDD when you can just use an internal HDD?? as kof said, its a lot faster too.

djt0506

the hard disk is 150Euro off iomega. (including vat & delivery). im not pretty smart at this whole home networking thing (though i do study computer science in college : ) ) so im just wondering, if i get this hard disk, i hook it up to my wireless router via USB and leave the hard disk on most of the time without any computers directly connected to the router via ethernet cable, would it be possible for a wireless laptop to be able to access the hard disk?

and if so, what would it take to achieve this after purchasing the hard disk?

if you know, could you keep the steps as simple as possible please. (im kinda sloooooooow :) ) thanks.

thanks for your previous reply by the way.

Once again thanks.

Mr.Suave

y dont you just put the files that you both share in the shared folder?? since you said you already have a wireless network setup so you just share off each other without the use of another computer.

djt0506

Sorry for posting so many threads, i just needed an answer.
nah, see our hard disks are both only 20GB. i have ALOT of information on standard cd disks that i want to offload onto the external hard disk so i can dump all my cd's. We just really want to access the external hard drive.