Fan control on GPU

RunAway

I'm running an Radeon HD 7950 with dual fans and recently I've noticed that neither fan runs continuously but rather one spins up after after the GPU starts heating up and the other doesn't even come on at all until it's way higher than what I would like. I actually have two computers with this exact same card (Sapphire) and the fans on the other both spin low rpm continuously and spin up after it reaches higher temps. That's the way I would like for the other one to do. I installed Afterburner but I just can't get it to work like I want it to. I'm not the sharpest tool in the drawer but I've not had this much trouble with something that seems so simple in a long time.. I've watched several videos on it but I'm starting to wonder if there is possibly other software conflicting with Afterburner.. I mean I just can't get it to respond the way it's supposed to. The left fan is always the one to come on first but no matter what I do I can't get it to do like it's supposed to. I try to set the curve and been back and forth in the settings, even had the right fan coming on first some how . I just can't detect a pattern for what makes it do what it does.. Has to be conflicting somewhere.

Might want to check your graphics card drivers are up to date, a driver update can address some fan control problems
Usually they spin on a needed basis (such as if a certain temperature is reached), that should be driver controlled/instigated
Also, check that your "power management" for both pcs is the same (like balanced, performance, etc)

RunAway

Might want to check your graphics card drivers are up to date, a driver update can address some fan control problems
Usually they spin on a needed basis (such as if a certain temperature is reached), that should be driver controlled/instigated
Also, check that your "power management" for both pcs is the same (like balanced, performance, etc)
Good points. I just updated the drivers this week to latest (December) but the bad thing is I don't know how they were acting before today. In other words I don't know if the update actually contributed to the problem or not, lol. Fixing to A) uninstall Afterburner because I don't really know what they were doing before today either (I installed it for the real-time on-screen hardware monitoring during gaming) and just naturally tried to address the fan situation with it once I discovered what they were doing. B) check the power managements on both computers like you said. Thanks!

beers

Staff member
If you spin them by hand, do you feel extra resistance on the problem card? Bearings commonly go bad on those, sometimes the resistance of the bearing is greater than the fan profile until it dumps more power to the fan based on the thermal curve.

Some of the card BIOS images also contain different parameters for fan speed.

RunAway

If you spin them by hand, do you feel extra resistance on the problem card? Bearings commonly go bad on those, sometimes the resistance of the bearing is greater than the fan profile until it dumps more power to the fan based on the thermal curve.

Some of the card BIOS images also contain different parameters for fan speed.
I'll check that. But I really think it's something in the bios that's not letting me do a customized curve for some reason. It's crazy. Sometimes the other fan starts first when I dig around in the Afterburner settings. I can't determine any specific pattern that makes them do what they do.