fan necessary?

firmjerm

Rezovor

The fan isnt necessary IF you leave your computer open, obviously by taking off the side panels and leaving it run (which i do). To enclose it though is just asking for heat to build up. As you know the power supply, back fan, and the motherboard fan help keep it cool inside, but when it's incased and no where for the heat to go.. It builds up and that's just asking for trouble. Like the above poster said, if the case asorbs heat, then it's fine.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
leaving your case off is only a good idea if your room temperture is lower thanw hat your normal case temp is. saying the heat has nowhere to go is kind of ignorant, what do you think the ventilation holes on sides and top of cases are for. oh and if you leave you cas eopen, then the dust builds up very fast, which is never good for electrical components

Rezovor

elmarcorulz said:
leaving your case off is only a good idea if your room temperture is lower thanw hat your normal case temp is. saying the heat has nowhere to go is kind of ignorant, what do you think the ventilation holes on sides and top of cases are for. oh and if you leave you cas eopen, then the dust builds up very fast, which is never good for electrical components

All ventilation holes on the side differs, they are not effective at all in my studies. The heat always has somewhere to go, but if you close in your case and have limited ventilation, then it's basically where the computer has no ventilation. I have left this computers case off since a few days after I got it, I had it for 3 1/2 years now and wow! It still runs. Dust is very limited, I hardly have any dust in this part of the house and seeing that you do not leave your side panels off, you should not try telling which is better to do :).

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
i did have had my side panels off for a period of a month :p but it made the temp. go up about 10°c. which wasnt too bad seeing as my temp is normally 30°c. but its still alot of difference.

and youve got to rememeber that theres ventilation holes at the back and front of most cases too, which are desinged to be used by fans, but if no fan is installed then they act as normal ventilation holes.

Rezovor

elmarcorulz said:
i did have had my side panels off for a period of a month :p but it made the temp. go up about 10°c. which wasnt too bad seeing as my temp is normally 30°c. but its still alot of difference.

and youve got to rememeber that theres ventilation holes at the back and front of most cases too, which are desinged to be used by fans, but if no fan is installed then they act as normal ventilation holes.

I appolgise for my "asshole" remark last time, wasnt having a good day :p.

Anyways why would your temp go up instead of down? I've never heard of that happening, unless you're running it in a really hot room. My computer runs little cooler with the side panels off and as of late, I've never trusted running a comp with side panels on.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Anyways why would your temp go up instead of down?
As already stated it can disrupt the airflow that the case was designed to have so that the cold air exits immediately and the hot air just sits in there.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
well the time i had the panels off, was a kind of heatwave so i gues that would explain it. i tried taking it off for a day today, and it still made it go a bit warmer, but not as much. although in saying this i have a very nice air flow in my case. 1 fan at front sucking in, 2 at back blowiing out and 1 on the side that pulls the heat, thats being blown off of the cpu, out. so the airflow get messed up easliy.