Fan wiring burned+PC on fritz=HELP

biggy

Hello fellow forum users! I am a new member with a very large problem. You see my PC shut down while I was away from it. When I returned to find it switched off, I made every attempt to switch it back on. When I eventually did, large plumes of smoke came from the case. I plugged it out and found that all the wiring of the fan had been burned right through, nothing else except the fan wiring. Now that I have replaced the fan the PC switches on, CD drive etc (lights come on) but nothing more. Monitor does not turn on, nothing loads! What can it be. Is it CPU, Motherboard memory! I built this PC myself so it is my pride and joy, but now I do not have skills to fix it. PLEASE HELP people, all knowledege and advice grateously recieved. Many thanks for your help. Big's ;)

jbones

I don't know but..

Jbones here,
I'm no expert just so you know up front but if the fan or somthing related failed and caused it to overheat while you were away something else may have suffered heat damage also. I don't know how many fans you have or how long it ran like that but you probably got it restarted after it had a chance to cool back down somewhat. Then whatever component in the fan or wiring that failed the first time reburned and you saw the smoke again.
Are you sure you don't see any other signs of burning or melting anywhere? If you can't get anywhere with it you'll have to get the components tested to start a process of elimination as to the cause. Jbones.

P.S. Hope someone turns the light out in this place when they leave.

Lax

VIP Member
You could have shorted out the mobo without knowing it. It has happened, and is not fun. If this did happen I suggest first looking for any popped capacitors, can usually overload and pop if too much voltage is put through them. Secondly reset the BIOS, always a precaution just to really reset the system as much as possible, won't hurt even if it didn't need it. Only thing it will effect is if you had it OC'ed. Secondly try different memory, HDD, Graphics card, CPU, everything (if you have it) and see if any combination of it will POST the system. If none of this works then you need to really consider the possibility that your system is dead.

P.S. ooops forgot about the PSU, if you have the ability to open it (and know how) then do so and check the fuse, see if it's blown (this WILL void the warranty if you open it)

biggy

thanks guys, BUT, BUT, BUT ! ! !

Well I have just bought a new CPU. Hopefully I will have it quite soon. Then I can check out if it is CPU. If not then I'll go for new motherboard. Well if it's not the motherboard, S* * * E. What next! I doubt if hard drives are fried! IS THAT POSSIBLE? Got so much work to save, was just about to publish my first website. PLease help guys, I can't beg,,but I can pleade, OH HELP!
Whats wrong with it?
I really need to recover all My work. Hope u can help people
many thanks
Computer LUVA
Ross :rolleyes: :)

Lax

VIP Member
You really should look on the forum for more info on stuff like this. It's most likey the PSU is fried, there's no need to buy new parts until you know the old ones are dead. And no, HDD's don't usually fry easily, all the data is most likely still there if you slave it in another system you can pull it off.

Jas420221

If it doesnt POST at all, I doubt its your HDD b/c you arent accessing it until a little bit later.

Also, which fan is it? Was it the fan on the CPU or the fan on the case? You didnt specify. That could help me (and others) e-diagnose your problem.

If its the CPU fan, you probably cooked your processor. And with that, maybe your Mobo.

If its a case fan, Its probably a short somewhere and get they system checked out.

funkymonky8u

well if u think its ur HDD take em out and to a friends house and have em put them in as slaves and see if they will still operate at normal speeds (from wut u can tell) and this same kinda thing happend to me a while back and the guy at circuit city (i hate that store) said that circuits on my mother board have been closed and i would basicly have to buy a new one but the way ur prob happend is diff but the defect is the same so thats all i can tell ya

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Now that I have replaced the fan the PC switches on, CD drive etc (lights come on) but nothing more. Monitor does not turn on, nothing loads! What can it be. Is it CPU, Motherboard memory! I built this PC myself so it is my pride and joy, but now I do not have skills to fix it.
Check the RAM and PSU.

I'm no expert just so you know up front but if the fan or somthing related failed and caused it to overheat while you were away something else may have suffered heat damage also.
Yes but if the computer was off when he returned, odds are the mobo saved the system (of course its possible it didnt but thats not as likely)

If this did happen I suggest first looking for any popped capacitors, can usually overload and pop if too much voltage is put through them
LOL i've seen that happen before heehee

What next! I doubt if hard drives are fried! IS THAT POSSIBLE?
Technically yes however unlikely. SATA drives on overclocked systems are much more likely to fry (and actually are the only ones [theoretically] able to fry)

well if u think its ur HDD take em out and to a friends house and have em put them in as slaves and see if they will still operate at normal speeds (from wut u can tell)
Either the hdd works or it doesnt. Speed is an extraneous variable.

biggy

Thanks guys or all your help on this! By the way it was my CPU fan and not a case fan! Don't think it's the PSU as everything still switches on perfect. Except the PC doesn't make that familiar bleep sound (you know the one) when it turns on! All case fans are working fine. CD rom and DVD drives turn on. Just nothing further, monitor stays on standby and thats about it really! I will try this new cpu and see what happens! If not that then new motherboard. Don't want to go to store to pay for someone to tell me whats wrong. Hopefully I can sort it on my own! NO CASH you see, well just enough for motherboard and cpu! I can resell anything I don't need.
Many thanks guys
Keep those ideas coming
Cheers
Big'n's Ville

Lax

VIP Member
I recently lost my board (not fun) and it's not under warranty anymore. So I'm selling 2 P4 2.6Ghz chips along with a lot of free stuff (would tell what on buying). So if you got 250$ (negotiable) they can both be yours.

P.S. Good luck with the system, I have lost CPU's before and it ain't fun.

biggy

Thanks man, but I'm actually in London UK! Post might cost a bit, hehe, Anyway I'm on my way to getting all the parts sorted. Hopefully it is just my cpu or motherboard, not both I hope! Mnay thanks for all your help
Biiiggleswade

funkymonky8u

well praetor i thought that it could be the HDD cuz they could be a wire error from the mobo to his HDD and just the wires not his HDD cuz this same kinda thing happend to my comp a while back and the harddrive still works even thou the mobo was busted

biggy

Father Jack! Hah DOOGLE,,,Sorry father... Drink, feck,, A**E
~~~~~~~~
2.8 GHz Northwood
Asus P4S8X
1536MB PC2700
2 X 120GB 7200rpm (not RAID setup),,tears!
MSI Ti4600
450 PSU

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
well praetor i thought that it could be the HDD cuz they could be a wire error from the mobo to his HDD and just the wires not his HDD cuz this same kinda thing happend to my comp a while back and the harddrive still works even thou the mobo was busted
Same kinda thing? Or same thing? Cuz a fried wire would result in um... a failure to boot.

biggy

Thanks for all your help guys! It was actually the Cpu! Got new one and hey presto. But now I have fried CPU'S any use for that?
Prob not but hey, she's working again and all's well on the Farm
Cheers
Big'n'Uff