Fancy a butchers.... at my new build!

SirKenin

banned
Heya jan, thansk for the post, yeh, i think it'll definately be 1 x 7900 GT OC then upgrade to SLi 7900 GT at a later date when the single card starts to lag on new games

as for hard drive setup, im still undecided, i want at least 300Gb on SATAII and more reliability over speed, so no raptors please...

suggestions?

dragon.

Pick up a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA II, Seagate 7200.10 SATA II or Samsung Spinpoint T HD301LJ SATA II if you want.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
I would go with a better motherboard, that is, knowing you, you will want to overclock it as far as it will go.
Yeh, overclocking is a must for me, but even though this board was a fairly miod range price, i thought it had good features,all of the ASUS NOS features, the crash safe BIOS etc... and its on the wonderful nForce4 SLi chipset, which is amazing. If i decide to throw in another £50 to round it off at £900 then i will spend it on the motherboard, but for now that one seems to be sufficient, unless you can find a better one on ebuyer UK for the same or less money?

I also think that your power supply isn't sufficient. Yea, it has three 12V rails, but that just means that you can be fine with two of the rails and have the third maxxed. I had an Antec 400w SM2.0 and I was overloading it with my meager system, so I had to go for a more powerful PSU. If you're looking for something that will last, (I know wattage doesn't matter as much, but..) get something over 500watts, preferably 550. Sli will be a big drain, as well as if you are going to overclock the E6600.
Yeh, i was thinking about that, i probably wont use this PSU when i got to SLi later on, i would upgrade it again... so SLi isnt a problem yet. I will have a look round for one with a few more amps on those rails.

wow i love it
so do i...

Pick up a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA II, Seagate 7200.10 SATA II or Samsung Spinpoint T HD301LJ SATA II if you want.
Okidoki, hanks for the suggestions, im looking into pricing for them now, cheers

dragon

Jet

VIP Member
Basically what I was saying is that you could save yourself some money if you buy the PSU for your Sli rig now, instead of having to buy two power supplies and spend more money overall.

Geoff

VIP Member
In 3 months the 7900T will be old news, as well as other parts.

But if you were buying it soon, I would say thats a good idea.

And SLI may sound nice, but you know it will never happen. Say in 3 months you buy a 7900GT, and plan on buying another one several months later. Time pases and when you want a GPU upgrade, DX10 will be out, as well as loads of new features, and you won't want to keep your old technology in the 7900GT, so you will end up buying a DX10 card that beats the crap out of two 7900GT's, for only a couple hundred bucks.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
[-0MEGA-];407486 said:
In 3 months the 7900T will be old news, as well as other parts.

But if you were buying it soon, I would say thats a good idea.

And SLI may sound nice, but you know it will never happen. Say in 3 months you buy a 7900GT, and plan on buying another one several months later. Time pases and when you want a GPU upgrade, DX10 will be out, as well as loads of new features, and you won't want to keep your old technology in the 7900GT, so you will end up buying a DX10 card that beats the crap out of two 7900GT's, for only a couple hundred bucks.
Oooh, i forogt about DX10 completely, that sucks... well, in that case, i will do as you just said, get the 7900GT or 3months equivalent, and then upgrade to a funky DX10 card in like a year or something...

And what "other parts" are you referring to, in 3 months the E6600 will still be big, the RAM doesnt really change very much in that kind of time frame, harddrives i havent decided on yet, PSUnis being worked on, case doesnt matter.... optical drives are the same everywhere. Mobo, that is probably being upgraded anyway... I dont see any other parts there that will become SERIOUSLY outdated in 3 months

dragon

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Time for a bit of resurrection methinks

Thread revived from 8-18-2006

--------------------

Ok, so i got my xmas bonus from work, technically i do have enough money to order it right now, but if i do I'll be skint for months, so basically after next months pay (18th Feb) ill be ordering right off.

The specs have changed very little, just a few minor things, heres a new list

1x GRAPHICS -------- MSI 7900 GTO (512Mb GDDR3)
1x PROCESSOR ------ Intel Core2Duo E6600
1x MOTHERBOARD --- eVGA 680i SLi motherboard
1x HARD DRIVE ------ Seagate 160Gb 7200rpm SATAII
1x POWER SUPPLY --- Hiper 530W Black Type-R Modular
1x RAM ------------- Corsair XMS2-6400 1Gb 5-5-5-12 (512Mb matched pair)
2x OPTICAL DRIVE --- LG GSA-H12NBAL 18X SuperMulti DL DVD±RW/RAM

Sub-Total = £675.70

VAT @ 17.5% = £119.71

Shipping&Handling = £12.75

TOTAL = £808.16

-------------------------------------------

NOTES:

OK, so the main decrease has been HDD space, ive gone to a 160Gb SATAII drive, a fair drop from the original 300Gb originally which changed to 2 x 250Gb's (500Gb).

Basically i stepped back and actually took a look at what i use, apart from a royal butt load of music, which spends most of its time on my 20Gb zen (old faithful). I don't backup DVD's, i don't download video clips etc...

Changed graphics card ever so slightly, some people are saying that the ATi X1950 Pro is a lot better, i haven't checked prices and I will admit now, im out of the loop somewhat, i have no idea if its better or not, suggestions?

RAM could also be changed for an equal alternative from OCz... im leaning towards that but haven't decided...

-------------------------------------------

So, as I said, building in less than a month, so i want to get all parts sorted FINALLY before the end of this month

dragon2309

leetkyle

Processor: E6400
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-E 680i
RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 (800MHz) 5-5-5-12
Video: Connect3D X1950 Pro 256MB
Hard Drive: WD 320GB
Optical Drive: Pioneer 16x16 DVD-RW Dual Layer
Power Supply: Hiper Type-R 580W
Sound Card: X-Fi

That's all from OCUK and is £815.90. I'd say that is a fairly decent price for such a nice system. The E6400>E6600 difference is not that much to most and 2x the HDD space and 2x the RAM.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
The E6400>E6600 difference is not that much to most
Sorry, but i couldn't let this one go. There is a massive difference between the 6400 and thee 6600, firstly its clocked 270Mhz higher (not really a big deal) secondly the 6400 only has 2Mb of cache where as the 6600 has double that at 4Mb. Thats a pretty hefty difference, plus the fact the 6600 has been proven to overclock better, which i am planning to do

dragon2309