Fastest Multimedia PC

mrjack

VIP Member
thebeginning said:
or a higher end graphics workstation card, like an ATi FireGL or an nvidia FX 4500 :D (i think it's called the fx...anyway, it's like 3 gran)

That would be useless unless he plans on making CGI art, just costs alot.

34erd

Because Intel usualy does better with recording, editing, and encoding multimedia. But for his budget you can fit in a true dual CPU configuration or even two dual core CPUs.

m3incorp

When talking dual core CPUs, I will have to disagree as AMD, especially the 64 X2 4800+ pretty much eats the Pentium Extemes lunch. I won't even mention the F60 compared against Intels best.

34erd said:
Because Intel usualy does better with recording, editing, and encoding multimedia. But for his budget you can fit in a true dual CPU configuration or even two dual core CPUs.

Thug541

I just bought a Sony Multuimedia beast. It has a Penitum Duo at 3 ghz. 1 gig of ram, ATI Radeon X300, 300 gigs of harddrive space and a shit load of usb 2's and a memory card reader. I use it mostly for video editing using Sony Vegas (easier to understand than adobe priemer in my opinion. The computer is also liquid cooled and makes zero sound (except for the harddrive's which are kinda located in the front of the computer with a pop off latch for easy upgrading.)

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...t=computers&CategoryName=cpu_rcseriesdesktops

also comes with a monitor...not a bad price i think.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Thug541 said:
I just bought a Sony Multuimedia beast. It has a Penitum Duo at 3 ghz. 1 gig of ram, ATI Radeon X300, 300 gigs of harddrive space and a shit load of usb 2's and a memory card reader. I use it mostly for video editing using Sony Vegas (easier to understand than adobe priemer in my opinion. The computer is also liquid cooled and makes zero sound (except for the harddrive's which are kinda located in the front of the computer with a pop off latch for easy upgrading.)

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...t=computers&CategoryName=cpu_rcseriesdesktops

also comes with a monitor...not a bad price i think.
Personally I think it's a little overpriced, Praetor's $1200 work system in Computer Specs 101 is considerably better, although lacks a monitor. If you want to spend considerably more than this, a Dual Opteron system would be the best way, a pair of Opteron 265s would be ideal. First consider if you really need it, though.

Thug541

ceewi1 said:
Personally I think it's a little overpriced, Praetor's $1200 work system in Computer Specs 101 is considerably better, although lacks a monitor. If you want to spend considerably more than this, a Dual Opteron system would be the best way, a pair of Opteron 265s would be ideal. First consider if you really need it, though.

Well yea, of course its overpriced. They gotta make money some how. But if he is not interested in building his own, and wants a quality computer I think its a good way to go. But considering whats in the box, plus the liquid cooling, it's not too bad of a price......i smell a challenge coming on......

i challenge someone to build a computer with similar specs (or better!) and keeping it as quiet as possible (which is gonna be difficult to tell for sure, but do your best). Keep in mind, the computer has two tuner cards (one in the rear, one in the front).

thecubemonkey

Back to the processor question...

I know the consensus is that AMD is best for gaming. However, Adobe Premier Pro (video editing software) is designed specifically for Intel chips. Was this just a partnership/marketing thing or is Intel better for multimedia/video.

I was assuming that gaming and multimedia(video capture, edit, render) were similar and thus the AMD would be best.

Any thoughts on Intel chips being better for video?

Thanks!

Thug541

I don't know the technical reasonsing, but Intel just seems to handle video editing better. Specfically multitasking aspect of it. Although some of the newer AMD chips are getting better at such tasks.

m3incorp

I wouldn't base a decision on something "seeming" to handle video editing better. If you are comparing single core processors, then Intel does have the edge. Now, if talking dual core processors; AMD has overtaken Intel. This is not an opinion, but based on factual reviews from many companies that have conducted the tests. I like Intel too, but have to face the facts.

Thug541 said:
I don't know the technical reasonsing, but Intel just seems to handle video editing better. Specfically multitasking aspect of it. Although some of the newer AMD chips are getting better at such tasks.

thecubemonkey

Any other thoughts regarding Intel vs. AMD for video?

Here's what I surmise:

1. AMD is by far better at gaming and graphic rendering
2. AMD has overtaken Intel in the dual core arena.
3. Intel, as a single core, does perform better than the AMD in video editing, etc.
4. If going with AMD, go with the Opteron

Geoff

VIP Member
Well AMD is better for floating point math, so if your multi-media programs has alot of Floating point math in it, get an athlon 64. it's also better for Adobe Premiere Pro because its not optimized for the netburst architecture.

thebeginning

are yall talking about single cores? i think it would be silly for him to get a single core for a multimedia pc...especially when he has that much to spend. besides, intel's in tests are actually not really that great compared to AMD when it comes to video (only sometimes in single cores). in dual core consumer cpus, the x2's beat every dual core intel in pretty much every type of cpu work, from word processing to gaming to video editing.

Thug541

^ very true. The worst AMD dual core chip beats out the best Intel dual core chips in some aspects. However, if he is not building his computer himself, he might not have a choice in processor (depending where he gets it from). He really couldn't go wrong with a dual core AMD or Intel chip. Also, you might want to look at some top end Mac's. They handle video editing very well in my opinion.

Geoff

VIP Member
Thug541 said:
^ very true. The worst AMD dual core chip beats out the best Intel dual core chips in some aspects. However, if he is not building his computer himself, he might not have a choice in processor (depending where he gets it from). He really couldn't go wrong with a dual core AMD or Intel chip. Also, you might want to look at some top end Mac's. They handle video editing very well in my opinion.
I wouldnt say that, because the Pentium Extreme Edition is just as good, or better than the X2 4800+.