fastest read speeds (cd/dvd)?

demonikal

Are these the fastest CD-ROM and DVD-ROM speeds out there? Couldn't find anything on a normal search. Found this on Wikipedia.

CD-ROM

56× xfer speed
data rate: 3,360–8,400 KiB/s // up to 68.8 Mbit/s // up to 8.60 MB/s
RPM: 11,200 (Constant Angular Velocity)

72× transfer speed
data rate: 6,750–10,800 KiB/s // up to 88.5 Mbit/s // up to 11.06 MB/s
RPM: 2,000 (multi-beam)

DVD-ROM

24x drive speed
data rate: 265.92 Mbit/s // 33.24 MB/s
~write time: Single-layer ~2 minutes / Dual-layer ~4 minutes

(took it out of wiki's table)

Just wondering cuz I have 4 external 5.25" bays. I very rarely use the DL function on my "all-in-one". Very rarely use the Lightscribe function (don't know if that slows down the drive). I figure maybe I should get a super fast CD-ROM, then super fast DVD-ROM, then a fast CD writer, and fast DVD writer, without the all-in-one.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Dont know why you would need all different drives. Most modern DVD burners will do that speed or close to it in CD or DVD.

demonikal

Dont know why you would need all different drives. Most modern DVD burners will do that speed or close to it in CD or DVD.

Just figured maybe speeds of read, write, rewrite, etc. on one drive don't equal that of an individual drive that just does one of those things respectively. It's just an assumption, but I could be totally wrong. That's basically what I'm trying to find out. But thanks for the response. Didn't think anyone was gonna respond on this.