Fat 32/NTFS clash?

droach75

i have just built a new PC more or less. Because i have installed a new mobo, i got a 2nd hard drive (Maxtor 120GB) to back up my files. I formatted my new hard drive to a NTFS file system, installed windows XP, everything was fine, played Doom3,,finished it. i am using it as my Master

i have just started to hook up my original hard disc drive (IBM 120 GB drive from about 2-3 years ago) to retrive my files from my old PC, which had windows XP also, but a slightly earlier version. i connected the drives up, with the correct jumper settings. my BIOS idenified the drive.

However when in windows and i try to look into my old hard drive or move a file into it,,i keep getting a box asking me to format the disc.

i can only think there is a clash between Fat 32/NTFS file systems.

is that my problem

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Provided that you dont have a Master/Slave conflict ... is it possible the drive is toasted ... that happens a lot when people swap in and out hdds :)

Mikelb

no, I know that with Wins 98, it won't recognize NTFS system, I am not sure... b/c you are booting from a NTFS... I don't think you can view stuff on a FAT32 system... I may be wrong... but I don't think you can... what you can do is download a program like PC Inspector File Recovery (for free)... and use it to examine the tree structure on the drive...

magusbuckley

Why not try this? Isolate the old HD on its own IDE cable. I am assuming you have XP on that old drive. If not install it. When windows comes up, convert the drive to NTFS. Now, make that old HD the slave again and boot to windows with the new HD.