Feedback with WiFi and WAP

Building a new house (approximately 3900 sq ft). It's 2 levels and has a large deck. The electricians have a guy who specializes in the cable, WiFi, security set up and we met with him a couple of days ago. He was telling us that he recommends 3 WAP's and also one for outside on the deck (was adamant that the inside router would not reach the deck). I struggle with what he is proposing, but do not have enough knowledge to challenge him. This house will be in the mountains with 2 sides having almost all windows. I had mentioned a repeater to him and he said that all they do is split the bandwidth while increasing the distance of the signal (not as good as a WAP). I'm interested in your thoughts. Thanks

Not familiar with this, but looks like for connecting via hard wire. What about assuring the wireless reaches throughout the house, including the deck outside. The vendor told me that the only reliable way is to use the Wireless Access Points (WAP).

beers

Staff member
That sounds like a reasonable suggestion given the size, the building materials also impact the propagation of wifi so it may vary.

I assume they're suggesting something like ubiquiti, a few nanohd should set you straight

beers, thanks for the validation. I guess that's what I was looking for, whether what they were proposing was "kosher". I have not yet received the proposal, so I don't know the specifics. I do remember him saying that to put a WAP on the outside can be very expensive since it has to be weather proof.