"File Download" problem

Showdown

I'm sure you have all seen the "File Download" box that comes up whenever you click on an email attachment, showing you the type of file, file name, asking you if you really want to open it, and prompting you to either Open, Save or Cancel.

Recently, I have been experiencing a problem where my computer cannot detect what type of file the attachment is, labeling it as simply "Unknown File Type." For this reason, it asks me if i want to save it, or find a program online to open it, prompting me to either Find, Save or Cancel.

My problem is, if I try to go through Find (which is the logical choice to choose which program to open it with), it redirects me to a webpage with a list of possible programs, and clicking on one takes me to another page asking me to purchase it.

Just to clarify, yes, I know for sure that these files are files which can be opened on my computer (eg I have the programs to open them). All they are are word .doc files and picture files, .jpg, etc.

What can I do so that I can once again open these files, without having to go through the trouble of saving the file to a folder on my computer and opening it manually?

[Note: Just wanted to point out that this problem first came about after I uninstalled a couple of programs that came with my laptop software. Word Perfect and some sort of Coral picture viewer. They were causing a lot errors every time I started the computer, so they had to go.]

holdenssx

try going to any .jpg image on your computer, right clicking it, and going to properties, from there you will see an open with: area, if it isnt set to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer click change and select that
and do the same thing with your .doc files, but instead choose open with: Microsoft word or whatever program you use

Showdown

thanks for the reply. well, i already tried that, and unfortunately it didnt help with the .doc or .xls files. the pictures are working, though.

see, the thing is, im not having this problem throughout the rest of my computer. i can open a word or excel file all i want a from my documents, desktop, etc. but when it comes to opening an attachment, it just wont let me.

any other suggestions?

holdenssx

one last thing, if your using firefox, click on tools and go to options, then go to the content tab, you should see a button called manage, click there and youll see different extensions. try finding .doc or .xls and changing it to the correct program, if you dont use firefox, let me know and ill see what to do