Final Selection Process (getting closer)

KJS

New Member
In my old thread after considering the cost building my own computer, I've decided along with other members advice to just buy a pre-built one. Also, I believe if I get too high-tech equipment I won't be able to utilize it, as I'm not playing any serious games or for a long time. I'm upgrading from a 250gb, Single-core Pentium 4, 512mb RAM.

Uses:

Mostly using Microsoft Office
Browsing forums + going on websites
Research, homework
Gaming (Rarely when I have free time, around once in 2 weeks :D)
Lots of security programs (I have 1 active anti-virus, 1 active Firewall and 1 active anti-spyware)
Music (All of the time when I'm on the computer)
Storing Data (My 250GB HDD is a few gigs away from being full)
Running Applications (Photoshop, iTunes, MSN, etc)

Now this thread will only be for me to post the desktop (not accesories: screen, keyboard etc) I'm trying to keep the build not including accessories nothing over $700 CDN.

Here are the list of computers I have narrowed it down to:

-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10097613&catid=20217
= $549.99


Base Features:

Processor Type AMD Phenom Quad Core 9500
Processor Speed 2.2GHz
RAM 3GB DDR2
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 320GB SATA 7200 RPM
Optical Drives SuperMulti Drive (DVD+/-RW) DVD-RAM
Graphics ATI Radeon X1250
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10107087&catid=20217
=$549.99

Base Features
Processor Type Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Processor Speed 2.4GHz
RAM 3072MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 500GB 7200RPM
Optical Drives DVD Burner w/ LightScribe
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
---------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10100534&catid=20217
=$629.99

Base Features
Processor Type Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q6600
Processor Speed 2.40GHz
RAM 3072MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 720GB (2x360GB) 7200RPM SATA
Optical Drives 16X SuperMulti DVD Burner w/ LightScribe
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT Graphics
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10107391&catid=20217
$699.99

Base Features
Processor Type Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Processor Speed 2.4GHz
RAM 4GB DDR2
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 640GB SATA 7200RPM
Optical Drives DVD+/-RW Supermulti
Graphics Nvidia GeForce 7100
Pre-loaded Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10108840&catid=20217
$699.99

Base Features
Processor Type Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
Processor Speed 2.4GHz
RAM 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM (Exp. Up To 8GB)
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 750GB 7200RPM SATA
Optical Drives SuperMulti DVD Burner With LightScribe
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit SP1

Since I'm not getting this build immediately, I'm getting them in the month of September since it is my birthday hopefully prices will slope down a bit or I will wait until Boxing Day here in Canada and get these computers.


...

What should I get?
 
I think you should pick between AMD or Intel first. You can't order the mobo until you know what kind of CPU it needs to support. Also look on NewEgg.com their prices are a lot better.
 
Sorry scratch that, I skimmed it and thought you were looking for just the processor. Ummm they all look good. Since you're not doing gaming, you don't need to consider video cards at all. And if it's the difference between a computer with 3GB of RAM and 4GB of RAM, you could just buy the extra GB for like $30 when it goes on sale. I would just wait for September and check the prices then.
 
Well since September's coming up, I would look for the computer with the fastest processor. Processor's are the hardest thing to upgrade in a stock computer. I already mentioned RAM, even 2 GB of RAM is fine. You can upgrade and get 4 GB of very fast RAM on sale at Fry's Electronics for about $60, so just replace it all. If you want a better monitor or printer, look for the one with the printer and monitor included because those get VERY expensive. A large hard drive is good too ( ~500GB) because it's hard to add an additional hard drive in a stock computer. And again don't spend money for a video card that comes with the computer. Try to find one without a video card, and then install your own video card later. The 8500GT is about the best stock video card you can get in a cheap computer and it's not very good. You could get the 8600GT which is about twice as good for $80 now. Hope this helps more. Haha
 
I have a printer already, actually I have 2 at my house. For the screen I'm aiming for the 22", which I can currently get @ $199.99. If I get a small hard drive, can't I just get an external hard drive? ANd for the graphic gard part, I'm not doing any serious gaming at all, so it's not important to me. My current desktop has integrated video, and it's playing all the video's I watch fine. It's just not so good when playing cheap games.
 
Yeah well then the 8500GT might be good enough. And I suppose you could get an external hard drive, it's just easier if it's all in the case. External hard drives take up a lot of space and usually require an additional power outlet, and portable hard drives only spin at 5,400 rpm. But whatever suits you is fine I guess lol
 
Space is not a problem, but what do you mean it requires an additional power outlet?
 
Like the WD My Book, the ones that are huge and look like books, they have an AC power cord. The big power supplies that can stand up usually have a power cord because you have to plug them into the wall. Portable ones are good they're just not as fast.
 
I'd go for the $629.99 Q6600, 3GB RAM, 8500GT set-up.

If you aren't doing any serious gaming this is all you need and more. That would play Call of Duty 4 well and run any Half-Life 2 games like a breeze.
 
Back
Top