Firewall Stuck, Blocks All Connection

runbird05

My anti-virus subscription to McAfee ran out on my old PC a while back, and since it was causing problems and persistently requesting me to resubscribe, I got rid of it. I uninstalled everything, including the firewall which I had been using.

After getting rid of all of the McAfee stuff, I'm now unable to connect to the internet, and I'm assuming it has something to do with the some remaining firewall files blocking my connection. I know it isn't my ethernet line, or the port, as I get communication lights on the jack that the line plugs into on the back of my PC.

So, I was wondering if anybody smarter than me on this board would have any suggestions about how to get my connection unblocked. If it's neccessary to know, the PC is running Windows ME, and is over 3 years old.

I've been considering upgrading it to XP and just reformatting the hard drive though, which I assume would get rid of this software problem, so if it can't be fixed I guess I'll just have to go that route.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BLUEMOON

go to run>command and then type in ipconfig , just make sure that everything is ok there... i.e. your ip/default gateway etc

KillermilleR

the uninstallation of McAfee may have reset your network settings to default or sum other configuration. Do what "bluemoon" said and go to my network places look at your setting also

Geoff

VIP Member
One thing you can check is to make sure that the windows firewall isnt blocking connections, or try reinstalling mcafee and uninstalling it, then as a last resort reinstall windows.

ChinaRosesZ

I don't think that windows ME has a firewall built in. Yah about your problem, you should definitely format your windows and install XP, ME is a really bad choice, I can guarantee you up to 80% that windows XP Pro is a lot better than ME.