First Attempt at Building a New Computer... This OK?

SkippyMcGee

New Member
Attempting to build my own for the first time since every pre-built I have ever had is usually dated within' 6months or breaks numerous times("Dude you're getting a crappy computer").

Never built anything from scratch, have installed GPU's, Ram, CD/DVD drives and other little things... So my knowledge of how to do this from the ground up is extremely limited, didn't even know about thermal compound and heatsinks til a few months ago when I started to get the idea to do this. Just hoping everything works out :)

Anyhoo here's what I ordered, I tried my best to research everything I could before I ordered, mainly gonna use the computer for games(Not intense req. games like Crysis or anything, more so for games like WoW(actually quit that), Spore, D3 and WAR when they all come out. And hopefully this thing will be able to handle them on decent settings with decent FPS unlike every other
computer I've owned.

If you could let me know any glaring problems with anything that would be great since the parts shouldn't arrive for a few days and I can take advantage of refunds etc before any issues arise.

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black PATA Model SH-S202N - OEM 25.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151155
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM 89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218
Acer P223Wwd Glossy White 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail 199.99(Weekend Special)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009124
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM 109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488
Rosewill Conqueror WBK Triple 120mm Fans Steel ATX Mid tower Computer Case with Side Panel - Retail
SAPPHIRE 100243L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail Combo'd 344.98

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147104
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102748
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail Combo'd 209.98

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9450 - Retail
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model Combo'd 409.98

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115042
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail
XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - Retail
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM Combo'd 42.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Those are the prices that the site shows but with the few things I'm gonna get here locally and the instant rebates and combos I think it comes out around 1370-1400ish with shipping. Already have a keyboard/mouse/wireless card/speakers that I'm happy with.

The processor I'm actually gonna get locally for 260 so that combo'd thing is wrong. The ram I read that, that brand at 1066 works on the motherboard with no issues(I hope they are right). The case and power supply I'm a little worried about hopefully any problems are within' 30days.

Is there any problems compatibility wise or any product just downright awful in anyones opinion? Wanted to check with people who have more knowledge then me since researching on the internet is not always accurate. Also wanted to know if this build would be able to handle the type of games I play with decent quality and performance, something I've never got to experience with premades.

Edit... Oh and I don't plan on OCing, don't know how and probably don't want to mess with it. Don't plan on Crossfire/SLI, pretty sure the board I picked doesn't even support it.

Thank you for all your time :)
 
Last edited:
Mobo: P35 is older chipset. GA-EP43-DS3L would be the better choice. However, with $30 discount, may worth to get P35

DVD burner: I personally will get SATA interface

Thermal compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 is better than AS5...
 
Mobo: P35 is older chipset. GA-EP43-DS3L would be the better choice. However, with $30 discount, may worth to get P35

DVD burner: I personally will get SATA interface

Thermal compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 is better than AS5...

Hmm... Ya I had trouble figuring out a motherboard but read that most the things I purchased with it work well with that specific card(well the original, think this is the EP35 2nd version of the original with some stupid energy saver thing), my knowledge was limited there so I just hope it works.

Besides those things overall will everything work decent for what I am planning to build it for?
 
Well now it is ordered we can't do anything, so hope it is ok, but looks good anyway.

:( Ya tried to hold off as long as possible.

I still got the grace period for returns and what nots though, but hopefully it works out. Never tried to put a full computer together myself, little nervous that if something doesn't work I won't be able to figure out exactly what is the problem.

Also not exactly sure what you do right after you have everything put together... Install the OS or is there anything else you need to do first.

Just wanted to figure out the best way to put it together that way you can figure out the problems one by one instead of trying to troubleshoot.
 
open up the dvd drive and put in the os install disk, and the hard drive should begin to format

KK, thats what I assumed.

That'll help tons... What if his boot priority it: 1) HDD 2) DVD?

Kinda confused what you mean.


I don't know if I elaborated well, probably not I have horrid grammar and writing skills, but I sort of wanted to know if there is a way to 1by1 find out if parts are working correctly. Meaning if I miraculously get everything together and it don't work I won't know where the problem lies.

Also I tried reading everything but I think i'm still confused on what to do with the thermal compound and the FHS. Sorta scares me that I gotta apply a liquid onto an electrical component so to speak. Oh and since not everything has arrived yet i'm starting to see a trend with some cases not being able to fit the S1283. I read that you need a 7.75Width, my case is 7.9 but, I read that some with 8.1, 8.4 still have can't close the case.

Probably would be easier if they delivered everything at the same time instead of 4 different packages from 3 different locations, with 2 from the same NJ location going to 2 different UPS houses in Ohio causing a day delay. Basically only have a few things here that I got locally with the rest coming spaced out in the next few days.
 
Last edited:
Here is a video on how to install a Socket 775 LGA processor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6NbPMQgwPM&feature=related

Be sure to follow electro static discharge precautions before handling any computer components.

Here is a post from Imsati on how to apply thermal paste:

First, take a good-quality thermal paste, such as Arctic Silver-5. Place a small amount on the processor and carefully spread it over the entire heat-shield (on the processor, not the actual heat sink). The goal here is to make an even, thin layer, and the end result is no striations/lines. (You're done when you think you can barely see the heat-shield, but it might just be your eyes playing a trick - does that make sense?) Now, re-seat the processor in the socket and lock it into place. Once it's in there, carefully put a BB-sized dab of additional thermal paste in the center of the processor. Gently place the heat sink over it and lock it into place very carefully. The pressure from it being locked will spread the BB-sized dab you placed evenly over the core of the Central Processing Units heat-shield.

I let each method cure for a while and checked temperatures periodically. My Pentium D 940 Processor saw a 40 degrees Celsius Idle temperature. Over the next 3-4 days it dropped to 34-37 degrees Celsius, and then maybe a week after that evened out to 31-32 degrees.
 
Thank you very much... Really appreciate it.

Got a little problem everything got delivered cept the stupid video card... Don't know what I can do. There any point putting stuff together if I won't be able to check anything really? Thought I had an old x1300 in a box somewhere that was shipped accidently years ago but can't really find it.

Don't know what I can do til the stupid card arrives? Any thoughts?
 
Thank you very much... Really appreciate it.

Got a little problem everything got delivered cept the stupid video card... Don't know what I can do. There any point putting stuff together if I won't be able to check anything really? Thought I had an old x1300 in a box somewhere that was shipped accidently years ago but can't really find it.

Don't know what I can do til the stupid card arrives? Any thoughts?

nothing, unless the motherboard has a video card.....

otherwise, put everything together and just wait for the video card.

Where did you order from???

Do you know why the video card didn't come with it everything else???
 
Ordered from Newegg... Everything was shipped from NJ but the video card was shipped from California and still isnt here.

Would I still be able to put everything together and install the OS with just putting that old x1300 in it and not installing the drivers?
 
Ordered from Newegg... Everything was shipped from NJ but the video card was shipped from California and still isnt here.

Would I still be able to put everything together and install the OS with just putting that old x1300 in it and not installing the drivers?

Yeah, that should be alright.
 
Yeah, that should be alright.

Alrighty, appreciate the help hopefully I can figure everything out. I'm not familiar with the 4870 though is there gonna be anything different installation wise compared to other cards i've used(power connecters etc) like the x1300, nvidia 6800, etc.
Or just pop in, install catalyst change the fan speed etc? I'm assuming I don't want to install the cd with the old card, i should be able to install vista without needing to install anything for the old video card? To find out if everything will work basically?
 
Last edited:
Alrighty, appreciate the help hopefully I can figure everything out. I'm not familiar with the 4870 though is there gonna be anything different installation wise compared to other cards i've used(power connecters etc) like the x1300, nvidia 6800, etc.
Or just pop in, install catalyst change the fan speed etc? I'm assuming I don't want to install the cd with the old card, i should be able to install vista without cd from the x1300 right?

As far as i know, that should be alright, use the old card, just don't install any drivers for it yet....
 
As far as i know, that should be alright, use the old card, just don't install any drivers for it yet....

Thanks again, oh and more question :), my wireless card came with a cd(can't find it now its a year or so old) and I'm not familiar with vista(not as well as xp). Does Vista have something that can detect a wireless card and find a network without a CD from the card itself? Or am I gonna need to install the CD from the card to connect to the internet?

Sorry for all the questions, I think i'm procrastinating instead of trying to do this.
Thanks again :)
 
Thanks again, oh and more question :), my wireless card came with a cd(can't find it now its a year or so old) and I'm not familiar with vista(not as well as xp). Does Vista have something that can detect a wireless card and find a network without a CD from the card itself? Or am I gonna need to install the CD from the card to connect to the internet?

Sorry for all the questions, I think i'm procrastinating instead of trying to do this.
Thanks again :)

that would be a driver, if you find out what the card is (name + model), google it and find the driver for it, and then set it up to use the windows wireless network finder to find + connect to networks.

Anything else.
 
that would be a driver, if you find out what the card is (name + model), google it and find the driver for it, and then set it up to use the windows wireless network finder to find + connect to networks.

Anything else.

:) Thanks again, hopefully i'm set as i'm gonna be now, and hopefully everything goes together and works. I'm sure i'll need help later today :(

But thank you for all your time you've been extremely helpful, i'm generally not this incompetent, just like to have a good idea in my mind how somethings gonna go before I start.
 
:) Thanks again, hopefully i'm set as i'm gonna be now, and hopefully everything goes together and works. I'm sure i'll need help later today :(

But thank you for all your time you've been extremely helpful, i'm generally not this incompetent, just like to have a good idea in my mind how somethings gonna go before I start.

No problems.

If you have any problems, post them either in a new thread or in this thread,

Cheers for now.
 
Back
Top