First Build - Good?

Charlie7940

Bobo said:
What is your budget and intent? I might be able to find you a better one for the money

I am expecting to spend at least $450 on parts...this does not include a monitor or operating system, I already have those. Like I said I prefer AMD over Intel.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
while semprons are amd budget cpu but I would still argue having a socket 754 sempron is better then having a athlon xp socket A cpu. If you want a amd and dont want a sempron I would try really hard to afford a athlon 64 2800+.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
If you was willing to spend $500 I would do something like the following. All parts here are even or better then the parts you listed in the first post.

motherboard $73
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-259&depa=1
CPU athlon 64 2800+ $120
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-452&depa=1
dvdrw $56
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-039&depa=1
512mb cas2.5 ram $49
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-164&depa=1
7200rpn 8mb cache 120gb harddrive $80
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-013&depa=1
video $38
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-125-154&depa=1

Total: $416
shipping: $18
leaving $66 for case and power
Grand total: $500

One of the major upgrades besides cpu and motherboard was instead of a 5200rpm harddrive going with a 7200RPM. I HIGHLY recommend having a 7200rpm harddrive.

Last edited:

Bobo

banned
That looks good, was mainly what I was working on, too. $66 might be a little low for case/psu, though, if you want a good one...

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Bobo said:
That looks good, was mainly what I was working on, too. $66 might be a little low for case/psu, though, if you want a good one...

The Case he picked out in the first post was only $60 so I figured that was the case he want. The powersupply that comes with it should be ok I have a aspire PSU that works good.

Last edited:

Charlie7940

That CPU from zipzoomfly i was just looking at and I like that...seeing that it comes with heatsink/fan and 3 year warranty. What mobo is cheap that would get the job done? And what "type of case" would be appropriate for this? I do like the clear sided ones.

I really appretiate you guys helping me out...if I didn't ask I would have bought equipment that is cheap and overpayed for everything. Thanks everyone again!

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Bobo said:
Here are cheaper of the parts mgoldb2 posted b4:

CPU-$118

DVDRW-$60
Keep in mind that the newegg one ends tomorrow

HDD-$77

GFX-$39.99
www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80098-6
I know that one is a little more expensive, but do keep in mind that it is free shipping....

After clicking on the cpu link it siad $120 which the same as newegg
Harddrive only $3 cheaper and it only have a 2mb cache the one I chose had 8mb cache. That video card acturaly slightly more money and no advantage. DVRW dirve might be a better deal I dont know I half to check what newegg price goes to tommrow.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Charlie7940 said:
That CPU from zipzoomfly i was just looking at and I like that...seeing that it comes with heatsink/fan and 3 year warranty. What mobo is cheap that would get the job done? And what "type of case" would be appropriate for this? I do like the clear sided ones.

Both newegg and zipzoomfly was retail cpu therefor comming with heatsink and fan and 3 year warranty. Since they the same price go with what ever place you perfer. Both zipzoomfly and newegg are safe places to buy from.
The Mobo I reccomended would be the one I go with. It the cheapest one I can find that is nforce3 250 AND from a good manufactor.

Case is really a personal perference. As long as it a atx case it will work fine with the computer.

Bobo

banned
mgoldb2 said:
After clicking on the cpu link it siad $120 which the same as newegg
Harddrive only $3 cheaper and it only have a 2mb cache the one I chose had 8mb cache. That video card acturaly slightly more money and no advantage. DVRW dirve might be a better deal I dont know I half to check what newegg price goes to tommrow.
oops, my bad :eek::rolleyes:

Charlie7940

(Sigh) OK, well after looking around for another hour, here's what I was able to gather up based on what you two said:

Gigabyte GA-K8NS nForce3 250 Athlon 64 Skt754 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail - $76

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Processor Socket 754 Retail - $120

Corsair VS512MB400 512MB DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select Memory Retail - $58

Western Digital Caviar Special Edition WD800JB 80GB ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer - $59

eVGA e-GeForce FX 5500 AGP 8X 256MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out & DVI Retail - $79 (I decided to go with a better card, in case I decide to resell this pc in the future)

HERE'S THE CASE I WAS THINKING ABOUT - $47

And I just discovered a hidden DVD/CDRW drive, and a floppy drive as well. Total cost with shipping would be $439 (LoL at least I think that is correct)

Let me know what you guys think yet again :)

Bobo

banned
Well, I love the case, but the PSU can't be very good for that price....IMO

BTW, it is $30, not $47....

Charlie7940

Bobo said:
Well, I love the case, but the PSU can't be very good for that price....IMO

BTW, it is $30, not $47....

How long would you think the PSU would last? And it is $47 once you calculate the shipping.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
11-195-004-08.JPG

It doesn't look too bad, just be careful of the load you put on the 5 and 3.3 lines combined. Of course it could crap out in a month but then it could last for years, I'd say give it a go and watch the voltage stability and if any get high or low go out and but a new one.

Charlie7940

OK, I'm just curious - if the PSU does happen to die out in a few weeks, is it possible for it to damage my pc? If that is a risk, I would not even think twice about getting a better brand.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
if it a GOOD PSU 350watts would proberly handle it. When I help my friends build computers I usually tell them to buy 400watts+ for most systems and 500watts+ for a highend gamming system that uses a power hungry video card like the geforce 6800 ultra.