First Custom Comp

georgi0u

All right guys ive finally been enlightened to the entire "custom computer building" scene. Ive done my homework and research and ive come up with a blueprint for what my summer job fund is going to go to. The main purpose of the comp is going to be for light gaming (probably intensive once i get into it :) ) and mainly sound/vid editing and multitasking. Tell me where i went wrong, if i did, and where i can tie up any loose ends. Please critisize EVERYTHING. O and BTw, im going to be doing some OCing down the road and intend to up to a thermatake big water liquic cooling system at that time. Also ill be running raid 0. 0o Also, ill be getting another 10/100/1000 ethernet card later on, and setting it up as a dual gig comp for my network. One connection as incoming and one as outgoing. AND!!! I have a PCI firewire card in the comp im giving to my family that will be transfered to this comp (wow ive edited this post like 5 times).

Few questions: will the stock fan/heatsink be enough if i dont do any OC'ing? I no the stock fans are designed to work with their partnered chips but i was worryed considering theres gonna be alot of stuff in there. Also, would a hard drive cooler be neccesary due to the dual HD's?

Raid - If im running raid 0 on 2 80 gig HD's is that still going to register as a 160 gig hd, 2 80 gigs (C:/ F:/), or 1 80 gig HD functioning on raid 0?

Link To Wishlist

Last edited:

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
personally i cant fault your choice of a setup there; you might want to be a bit wary of the PSU that comes with the case though because they have a tendancy to be weak

georgi0u

If u look carfully, theres a ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W Power Supply in the list! Lol, what are ur opinions on it? Keep 'em comin and thax for the help...

-georgi0u

ripken2004

for raid it will show up as 1 160gig hdd

so ur budget is around 1700? whats the max that u can spend?

and are u sure that u want intel? if u think that u will be doing some intense gaming then u might wna go for an amd.

and for that psu, change it! ide say to get an ocz powerstream 520, otherwise all looks good

edit: i did see the psu with the case and searched newegg to try to find a case without it, but no luck, if u like that case then u like it

b182tm

Well, he said he is doing video and sound editing, with some light gaming. Video editing and sound editing are CPU intensive tasks, and I guess Intel is better for that. (I could be wrong though, because HT is the thing that makes it better). Still, I would go with Intel for those tasks.

Derek

georgi0u

im goin for around 1700 but thats pushin it, like no goin out from now till sep. I just randomly picked a psu (the least of my expertise as far as research went). As far as processors, im happy with intel. Im more of a multitasker, i used to be a hardcore CS freak, but i could max that out on my stock dell. I need more ideas on psu's cause i dont really no much bout them. The psu is an aftermarket on top of the one with the case. I wasnt goin to use the one with the case and it sucks cause that case dont come without one. Ill look into that new psu. Keep it comin guys and thx for the help.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
raid - if im running raid 0 on 2 80 gig hd's is that still going to register as a 160 gig hd, 2 80 gigs (c:/ f:/), or 1 80 gig hd functioning on raid 0?
RAID 101. It'll be 1x160

If u look carfully, theres a ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W Power Supply in the list! Lol, what are ur opinions on it?
Hehe nice :)

and for that psu, change it! ide say to get an ocz powerstream 520, otherwise all looks good
Uh why? (thats actually twofold: (1) why the 520 when the 470 is rated the same for anything that matters and (2) the one he's got is awesome .. sure the Powerstream is a lot better but you'll only notice that difference if you start messing with voltages)

Well, he said he is doing video and sound editing, with some light gaming. Video editing and sound editing are CPU intensive tasks, and I guess Intel is better for that. (I could be wrong though, because HT is the thing that makes it better). Still, I would go with Intel for those tasks.
Actually you're dead on :)

georgi0u

Praetor said:
Uh why? (thats actually twofold: (1) why the 520 when the 470 is rated the same for anything that matters and (2) the one he's got is awesome .. sure the Powerstream is a lot better but you'll only notice that difference if you start messing with voltages)

Are you refering to the one that comes with the case as being awsome or the aftermarket one i picked out? Also when you say, "messing with the voltages" what do you mean. I dont no much about the topic but i do believe that OC'ing and stability has a lot to do with that and like i said i wish to try some in the near future so elaborate on the psu issue please. THANKS AGAIN GUYS I LOVE THIS FOURM ~PRAETOR KEEP IT UP!~

ilovefishsticks

Few questions: will the stock fan/heatsink be enough if i dont do any OC'ing? I no the stock fans are designed to work with their partnered chips but i was worryed considering theres gonna be alot of stuff in there.
Ive heard many times on this site and others that its supposed to be good enough, but for me it wasnt. I went and bought a 25$ ultra heatsink and my comp hasnt overheated since.

Also Intel seems to be the way to go because they have HT for multitasking. If ALL your mainly doing is games, go with AMD. Games actualy do run a little slower from what ive read w/ HT enabled, so u can turn it off in BIOS but i play games w/ HT enabled, i dont realy notice a difference

georgi0u

aight guys, i withdrew some money from my account so that i could get this comp asap. Tonight i hope to order it so some imidiate commentary would be very helpful. I pretty much have all the info i need but some last minute suggestions and psu options would be much appriciated. Thanks - adam

georgi0u

OK well i got impatient waitin for u guys so i just went ahead and ordered. I opted with the OCZ Powerstream since my dad gave me 100 bucks and i got a really nice heatsink that i frgt the name of right now. Ill post picks of my set up and let u guys in on how it turns up. Thx for all the help.

PCe- georgi0u

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
are you refering to the one that comes with the case as being awsome or the aftermarket one i picked out? also when you say, "messing with the voltages
i didnt quote you but to answer your question.. i challenge the suggestion for a PowerStream520.. an awesome PSU but overkill here

also when you say, "messing with the voltages" what do you mean
see PSU 101 about "adjustable pots" ... it's an extra level of control you can have over your voltage

georgi0u

MMmmmm Overkill.... Aghlghlghl. Na, when i get into something i stick with it till im the best so expect to see me in here as a "hard core" overclocker in about 6-12 months. C u then (COMP COMES TODAY W0oT Wo0T!)

apj101

VIP Member
georgi0u said:
MMmmmm Overkill.... Aghlghlghl. Na, when i get into something i stick with it till im the best so expect to see me in here as a "hard core" overclocker in about 6-12 months. C u then (COMP COMES TODAY W0oT Wo0T!)
thats what i like to hear, a future mod

georgi0u

a little outta my price range on that motherboard. SCSI setupd = i can by a pci controller later on. And as for my next upgrade, i think a liquid cooling system would be best for OC'ing purposes...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
a little outta my price range on that motherboard. SCSI setupd = i can by a pci controller later on. And as for my next upgrade, i think a liquid cooling system would be best for OC'ing purposes...
Heh i know ... if you missed it, the entire point of post 16 was to point out that if you want to be "hard core" and push the [supposed] best of the best as per post 14 ... you can always find a much more expensive (and 'hardcore') setup