First time computer build. Need input.

yawgmoth

This is the first time I have built a computer. I do have a couple friends who are very knowledgable about computers so I am not totally alone in building it. What I need help with is the actual parts I will be getting. Right now I have a Dell 8200 and I will be gutting it for parts for my new computer. IDE Hard drive, sound card, floppy, and whatever else I can manage to reuse.

Right now this is what I am considering to buy:

NZXT Silver Elite Case -$120

ATI 100-435500 Radeon X800XL 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM - $295

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail - $87.85

ABIT AA8XE Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 925XE ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $145

intel Pentium 4 540J Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail - $213.99

Total - $861.84

I would like to keep the cost to around $900 for these parts. The purpose of the machine would be for gaming and autocad.

Does anyone have any ideas for improvements? Better choices of parts? Is it a good idea to go with ddr2? Any help would be appreciated.

Cpu Masta

Looks good so far...you may wanna change your ddr2.....533mhz wont benefit you much over the ddr at 400 mhz....try getting some better ddr2 and I think ull be set.

By the way I hear that gfx card is one of the best for its price...have fun! :D

XHotxEx791

That's a pretty bad setup for the price. Recommend you stick with amd. Don't get the intel. Reason, you don't even have a 64-bit processor. And if you want to upgrade, you can't with the 925X chipset. Got to go higher to at least 945. At least AMD, doesn't need new mobo, socket 939 works for upcoming dual-cores, that's not to say there won't be a replacement soon. Since you're re-using. Use same monitor, keyboard/mouse, speakers. Parts to be salvaged, hard drive, sound card, floppy sounds good if you need modem, save that.
ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply-56
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Socket 939 Processor-146
Arctic SIlver Premium Photosynthetic Silver Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5-8
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard-135
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400-79
NEC Beige IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3520A BG-41
Microsoft Windows XP Home w/Service Pack 2-92
eVGA 6600GT 128MB DDR3/PCI-E/TV-Out/Dual-DVI-169

total $726 leaving you to get better parts. Recommendations, better OCZ ram, 6800GT. IF you have even more, get a better PSU. The 3000+ is the best value, so don't suggest you get anything else for now.

XHotxEx791

DDR2 doesn't make the intel faster than the AMD with regular DDR. If you want to oc, get PC3500 or higher ram, and thus the ram will run at what it should run, so no harm done.
ROger

alanuofm

VIP Member
XHotxEx791 has a pretty good set up.
the psu is questionable. if you already have windows you can take that out too. that leaves a lot of cushion money for a better video card, psu, and ram.

i would look into a better video card and psu before the ram.

yawgmoth

I was looking into AMD earlier and was wondering if they matched up to the intel chips. 2.2 amd vs 3.2 intel processor. Do the AMDs really perform well enough to make up for the gap or is there something I am missing?

alanuofm

VIP Member
the architecture's are totally different. the reason amd's are called amd 3200+ and the rest of the numbers is because thats an estimate of how fast it would run if you compared the numbers to a 3.2 ghz intel processor. intel's have reallllllllllllllllly long pipelines so they must jack up the processor speed to crunch numbers. on the other hand amd's have shorter pipelines and more of them so they are able to lower their clock speed. thats also why amd's are less dependent on cache which is why the celeron's are crap because they are deprived of cache.

XHotxEx791

I think you need Arctic Silver 5 costs $8 and if you don't have windows, you need that too. The 3500+ is a bad choice as you can oc a 3000+ to those speeds... Save money and get the 3000+.
Roger

alanuofm

VIP Member
it'll save money in that 3500+ and the 3000+ is not that big of a performance difference. he might not know how to nor want to overclock.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
that's a pretty bad setup for the price. recommend you stick with AMD. don't get the Intel. reason, you don't even have a 64-bit processor. and if you want to upgrade, you can't with the 925x chipset. got to go higher to at least 945. at least AMD, doesn't need new mobo, socket 939 works for upcoming dual-cores, that's not to say there won't be a replacement soon. since you're re-using. use same monitor, keyboard/mouse, speakers. parts to be salvaged, hard drive, sound card, floppy sounds good if you need modem, save that.
1. you say that the lack of 64bit capabiltiies is a massive deficiency...
2. for "future dual cores" you'd be looking at m2

ASPIre x-dreamer ii ATXb4klw-bk black steel ATX mid tower computer case 420w power supply-56
whats the PSU rating on that?

nec beige ide dvd burner model nd-3520a bg-41
might as well hunt down the nec3540

DDR2 doesn't make the Intel faster than the AMD with regular DDR. if you want to oc, get pc3500 or higher ram, and thus the ram will run at what it should run, so no harm done.
but you will have a hell of a time installing DDR into a 925xe board

i was looking into AMD earlier and was wondering if they matched up to the Intel chips. 2.2 AMD vs 3.2 Intel processor. do the AMDs really perform well enough to make up for the gap or is there something i am missing?
CPU 101.

NZXT NEMESIS ELITE SV Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - Retail - $120
The PSU sucks.
11-146-008-13.JPG

The 3500+ is a bad choice as you can oc a 3000+ to those speeds... Save money and get the 3000+.
You say that like you cant OC the 3500+ ...

yawgmoth

About to buy the system, but just wanted to ask one last question. What do you all think will be better, a eVGA 6600GT or an eVGA 6800GT? Or perhaps there is a better choice out there? I don't want to spend more than $350 for the video card, but I thought the 6800GT would play the more intensive games for a good while to come.

apj101

VIP Member
a eVGA 6600GT or an eVGA 6800GT
is that a serious question. If anything the price tag should let you know which is best there. The 6800gt will win hands down agains the the 6600gt.

apj101

VIP Member
I meant performance vs price. Is the increase in price worth the increase in performance?
depends, if your a hardcore gamer then a 6800gt is a must and is worth the extra cash. If your not a gamer then its not. There is a big performance difference between the 2 and if you think you need that then it worth every penny.

XHotxEx791

Praetor said:
1. you say that the lack of 64bit capabiltiies is a massive deficiency...
2. for "future dual cores" you'd be looking at m2

whats the PSU rating on that?

might as well hunt down the nec3540

but you will have a hell of a time installing DDR into a 925xe board

I said upcoming not all future ones. This post was made a month ago, and since that i;ve started recommending the newer one. I know that psu sucks and do believe i've given you the rating on it b4. "but you will have a hell of a time installing DDR into a 925xe board", why would you install DDR when itll support DDR2?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I said upcoming not all future ones.
So upcoming chips dont come in the future? In either case, my point still stands :) (read again)

"but you will have a hell of a time installing DDR into a 925xe board", why would you install DDR when itll support DDR2?
This ladies and gentlemen ... is a classic display of the subtleties of the English language. You will note that the 925XE board doesnt support DDR .... now if i have to explain further then ... i dont have to explain anymore.