First Time PC Builder Needs Some Help

kdailey4315

New Member
Hello all,
My old Dell XPS Gen 3 died and I would much rather build my own PC than go out and buy another Dell. I've read a bunch of threads on here and seen a bunch of suggestions but I don't know which ones will work best for me.
No games besides the flash games my wife plays will be played on this PC. I prefer PS3 and XBOX over PC. (Just a personal preference)
I do run multiple programs at once. Mainly converting MP3 and other audio formats as well as converting video formats. I will be doing very light video editing. Just videos that we record with our camera. I will most likely be running windows 7.
If possible I would like to keep my budget to around $600 but I'm willing to pay a little more for quality parts. I don't need a new monitor as the 19" LCD monitor I have is just fine.
 
Hello all,
My old Dell XPS Gen 3 died and I would much rather build my own PC than go out and buy another Dell. I've read a bunch of threads on here and seen a bunch of suggestions but I don't know which ones will work best for me.
No games besides the flash games my wife plays will be played on this PC. I prefer PS3 and XBOX over PC. (Just a personal preference)
I do run multiple programs at once. Mainly converting MP3 and other audio formats as well as converting video formats. I will be doing very light video editing. Just videos that we record with our camera. I will most likely be running windows 7.
If possible I would like to keep my budget to around $600 but I'm willing to pay a little more for quality parts. I don't need a new monitor as the 19" LCD monitor I have is just fine.

You say you'll be running Win7, does that mean you need a new OS or not?
 
If his PC won't be purposed for games I personally don't think that i5 will be necessary as he will not make the most of it. Double core should be enough. 4GB of memory is way too much too

You can go with:

Asus P5E Deluxe - around $200
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 @2.6GHz - around $130
CORSAIR 2x1GB - 8500C5D DDR2 1066MHz DC CL5 - around $100
ATi Radeon HD4770 512mb - around $140


or something a little bit cheaper:

Asus P5E Deluxe - around $200
Intel Core 2 Duo E5200 @2.5GHz - around $65
Kingston HyperX 2GB DDR2 PC2-8500 1066MHz - around $60
nVidia GeForce 9500 GT 1GB - around $50

In addition if you haven't got a case, you can buy one of these:
Antec Three-Hundred - around $50
THERMALTAKE Soprano RS 101 VG7000BWS Mid Tower Case - around $65

Also, if you require power supply:
Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply - around $140
Thermaltake W0330RUC Purepower 550W Power Supply - around $60
 
Last edited:
Back
Top