first-time pc buyer ... that enough for ya?

shutterbug

Ok, I need to buy a computer for university, main usage - essays, internet, digital photo editing, music. This is a pc I found in a high street store, and I don't know if it's good value for money. Can anyone tell me if these specs are any good, and how much I would expect to pay for a pc with this? (And clear up what the things marked with * are? I hate to put girls to shame on pc knowledge, and I can use any word-processor (60wpm) and find my way around pretty much any internet site, but I have no clue when it comes to specifications!)

256 Mb DDR* ram memory
80 GB 7200 rpm hard disc
DVD/CDrw + DVDrom drive
64 Mb graphics on board* (on graphics board?)
56k modem
Win XP
15 inch tft* screen
keyboard, mouse + speakers
lexmark all in one printer, copier and scanner
AMD Sempron 2400* + processor (is this better/worse/same as intel pentium?)

So, can anyone help me out? is this a good deal for $945? (I'm assuming that my currency converter works here, about £500 GBP if there's any Brits want to help me out.) Oh, and my budget goes to almost double that, but I need to know if the current sale price is a good buy or should I wait till about August?

Last edited:

heinzbitte

If you mean 945 USD then that is a really bad deal I think.

DDR memory is Double Data Rate, which is the standard type of memory, but 256 may be enough for you not sure.

Graphics on board means that the video card is built into the motherboard.

Not sure about the TFT

The AMD sempron is about the equivilent according to AMD to a 2.3Ghz Intel. And it is usally personal choice but they say that AMD is more for gaming and intel is more for everything else.

That system would probably be fine for everything except maybe photo editing. It is just I don't think that is a good deal at alll.

Could you possibly tell us what brand that is and maybe a link to it or somethig.

j0hn00

US$1000 seems quite high for that setup. Since I don't live in Britain, I can't really say much except to wait for some better alternatives from your fellow countrymen.

shutterbug

heinzbitte said:
And it is usally personal choice but they say that AMD is more for gaming and intel is more for everything else.
So a processor used for gaming is a good one? Fast and the like? I'm just so sick of the old family one with Win98 stuck in there somewhere and we can't get it out! Slows up the whole thing. Takes 10 mins just to start up and log on, then the IE takes ages to open (even with broadband)... Anything faster than a 5 year old computer is my main target. :)

Deal is from Woolworths, can't give you a link cos I found it in a catalogue.

Don't think I noticed a brand...

My dad says that maybe TFT means flat screen, which has got to be better than the big monitors. :)

heinzbitte said:
If you mean 945 USD then that is a really bad deal I think.
It's only 500 GBP, which isn't a lot for a PC over here.

Thanks for replying, I just realised the time over there is about 6 in the morning, so I didn't think anyone would reply.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
yea that isnt a very good deal, what shop is this deal from? if i were you, i would go custom and build it yourself. what part of UK do you live in

EDIT: just read previous post, scratch one of my questions!!

EDIT: look on www.novatech.co.uk with help from people on here, they'll tell you whats worth buying, and you could save yourelf alot of money. http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/PCrange.html?VRP the one on the left looks quite good, for the same price, its alot better too

Last edited:

heinzbitte

Well tft is a flat screen monitor, I still don't know much about it though. The big bulky monitors are actually really good but I guess tft can come close and they are more convienient.

I am in Ohio, US and it is actually 2:30 in the afternoon.

Well anyway even if that is cheap its not a great computer. Mine was 750 USD and better than that. I suggest you look around, you probably could find a better one for cheaper, I don't know but do you have you looked at Dell http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&~ck=bt

shutterbug

elmarcorulz said:
if i were you, i would go custom and build it yourself.
*choked laughter* Okay, I'm a biology student, with minimal knowledge of computer specs. I can't get Lego to work for me. I'd much rather buy it all prepackaged and put together, and get my dad to work out which wire goes where. I have difficulty plugging in my speakers without electrocuting myself (last time it managed to disconnect the internet - how do you disconnect broadband?! - and sent a jolt up my arm. Not pleasant, I can tell you), and I still can't work out how to get my printer to work after switching cables from my mp3 player.

Anyway, without getting bogged down in why I hate USB cables...

elmarcorulz said:
what part of UK do you live in
SW Scotland, why?

shutterbug

Thankyou, I'll have a look at some of those websites. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good pc without being out of pocket.

shutterbug

Vortex 530
3.0GHz Pentium 4 530 800MHz FSB
512MB PC3200* 400MHz DDR Ram
160GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Up to 64MB 128-Bit Embedded Graphics*
CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
5.1 6-Channel Capable Sound*
1 x RJ45 Network Port (10/100)*
56K Modem

Vortex 530 Elite
3.0GHz Pentium 4 530 800MHz FSB
512MB PC3200 400MHz DDR Ram
160GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
128MB DDR GeForce FX5500 AGP Card*
16x Dual Format +/- DVD Burner
5.1 6-Channel Capable Sound
1 x RJ45 Network Port (10/100)
56K Modem

What's the difference in these? (what makes the elite one so much better that it's $100 more?) Sorry to keep on, but I don't understand it.

Oh, and about the time being 6 in the morning, I realised the site's giving me screwed up GMT, it's 8 here, clocks saying its 7, didn't see the PM.

Last edited:

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
one of them has built in graphics and a cd writer, the other has a graphics card and dvd writer. the elite is the better one by quite alot

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
for £445.32 its a good price, it would be cheaper to buy everything seperately, but you said that you would rather buy it pre set up, so yea, its a good deal

heinzbitte

PC3200, I am pretty sure that indicates the frequency(speed somewhat) it runs at and its like DDR400 which is 200Mhz(may be wrong).

Embedded Graphics, built in video card.

Sound thing, just the type of onboard sound it has.

RJ45 10/100, the ethernet cable that your dsl uses, works 10mps or 100mps(standard but soon standard will be 10/100/1000)

AGP Graphics, Accelerated Graphics Port(or something like that) the video card has its own slot and could be replaced or so.

Second is better, does that come with a monitor?