Fixing an old laptop + searching for new laptop, prefer physical durability + long-lastingness in general + linux, curious about "rugged laptops"

amkc

I am getting to the point where I am considering getting a new laptop, though I will still look into getting a replacement battery for my current one and see if it is fixable. If it is fixable I will do that but I will probably also get a new laptop within the next year, because then I could use the fixed one as a backup.

The current laptop has a battery issue at the very least, because the battery is always 0% and the laptop shuts off immediately if it is unplugged. It has also recently booted up with some "crash error" beeping etc and had totally wrong day/time (year 2099!), or else being off by a few hours and a day. This laptop also has had a broken right hinge which jumps its track which led to a cracked open body of the laptop (chassis?) in that area that I find concerning... though it hasn't seemed to cause problems. I have to pinch that area down and move carefully to close the laptop. I have opened it up twice to clean to be sure dust doesn't build up.

My current laptop is a Lenovo Flex 3 15
I got it in 2015... I didn't really research much for that decision because I needed to get a laptop quickly for upcoming work and classes. Just walked into a local store and got it. Not unhappy with it, or Lenovo, but I do feel like I didn't pick the model that ended up being right for me. It seems geared toward doing a whole tablet/fold over thing and I couldn't care less about that.

I think this is its battery: https://www.replacement-laptop-battery.com/lenovo-flex-3-15-battery-100254.html
I would like some advice on replacing batteries if possible.

Rest of current laptop info:
Linux Kernel: 4.15.0-189-generic
Processor: Intel© Core™ i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2
Memory: 3.7 GiB (Free 23%)
Hard drives: 122.5 GB
Graphics card: Intel Corporation Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520]
If any of this looks wrong or I am missing something please say so.

Background on the OS: a few years ago I had the storage completely full and it told me so, said it wouldn't have enough room to update the OS (then Windows 10) and I ignored that, assuming I would fix it "any day now". A total crash that appeared to completely delete/break the Windows OS happened before I got around to it. Using a friend's laptop I made a bootable Linux Mint flashdrive and that's how I recovered what was on the laptop and added the new OS. This was pretty new to me so I am not sure if I did a great job at it. I don't know yet how to get optimized settings or whatever else you need to worry about putting Linux on a laptop not exactly made with that in mind. Despite not really knowing what I am doing, I have enjoyed using the Linux OS -- it takes up less space, it works just fine, it's free (or, pay what you want, I did donate some), and I like the philosophy behind it. I also always liked how Windows 7 and earlier was set up and really don't like the more "app" like design of later versions so the way plain old Linux Mint looks is a bonus to me, not just acceptable.

So while I am flexible, I would in general prefer to keep using a Linux OS, something Linux Mint or like Linux Mint in how it looks/works. If I were to get a different OS it would be whatever Windows is right now I guess unless there is some way to get an older version that works.

Currently my main uses for a laptop are:
- word processing, statistics/R, presentations
- for a side job as a medical scribe, a lot of rapid typing
- webcam + audio for online meetings
- store and manage photos, import from phone, camera
- use internet... typical use is email, research, uploading photos, online meeting
- download video from meetings, upload to youtube - so far I am not responsible for editing but I might want to start
- connecting to software for my microscope, which is triocular and has a camera attachment... or rather TRYING to do that because I haven't gotten the software to work yet on my laptop and have had to borrow a friend's to make sure it wasn't a problem with the software/disc itself. Would really love to be able to have live video and camera visuals from my microscope for teaching
- very rarely trying to get my few old games to work, failing, using an older laptop (c. 2011) with Win7 for some laggy couple hours before it crashes (built in timer!)
- I travel with it to remote/rural/forested locations... think rustic cabins in the woods... field stations... and have to try to get some work done

For travel purposes, I would like to emphasize that I don't care how heavy or bulky it is or what it looks like. What I DO care about is that it won't crack up, get jostled a lot internally, or otherwise break due to being carried around. If anything I trust the idea that a bulkier machine is less likely to break. That has been my experience with instruments in the lab and with computer tech as well. The chunky awkward 70s/80s thing with the manual flip switches is still kicking despite surviving the equivalent of war (undergraduates), the sleek lightweight fancy touch buttons is making us very happy we have a service contract. But it can do things nobody even knew existed in the 70s/80s, so ok, I suppose there are trades involved in the design.

No need for a touchscreen. Display being nice is good but I don't really need whatever artists or dedicated gamers need. Colors being represented accurately matters to me more because sometimes I am reviewing images and trying to identify species from photos. Not sure how much that varies in screens.

I also like having more ports for different things, maybe even things I don't realize I might want yet. I am constantly being asked to connect to some weird projector and present in 5 min, oh, use those cords in the bucket over there - one of them has to work. Obviously it would be great if these ports actually functioned well rather than breaking. I might invest in some little covers for them so they don't get gunky.

It would be very gratifying to get a CD slot back but maybe that is too much to ask. I can borrow one of those connect via port CD reader things as well and might buy one someday.

Looking into what "longest lasting" laptops are, I found these things called "rugged laptops". I am wondering exactly how rugged is rugged, and if it is more focused on not getting water or sand into it or actually lasting a really long time with good performance with every day use. The two aren't the same, though I am impressed by how they look like I could drop them off a cliff. Probably can't but still.

I really just want my laptop to last over a decade and maybe longer if I can repair it or eventually learn how to upgrade components with more confidence. I am also interested in learning to be more careful to not harm my laptop through not updating, or not having system settings right, or whatever else is impactful there. Any advice in that area is welcome. I will also be reading through these forums for more.

Thank you very much to anyone who can help me consider these questions, I really appreciate it. Just typing it all out helped some as well.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
I'll admit I didn't read your full post, but gave it a decent skim. Few highlights below.

1. Laptops (and everything) just aren't made like they used to be. Stuff is thinner, lighter, and inherently weaker than it used to be. There are still some tougher models out there but as a general rule, stuff isn't as sturdily built as it used to be. In a similar vein, they are also not nearly as user friendly to work on as they used to be. I did laptop repair for a few years and there was a noticeable trend of them getting harder and harder to work on.
2. Laptops in general are not something that last longer than 5 or so years. The exception to this would be Macbooks (generally) and the highest end of Windows PCs. Still you have to content with batteries aging, which is just inevitable.
3. You can kiss a CD drive goodbye. Just get a USB external one as needed.
4. Linux is a lot pickier about drivers and some will just flat not have drivers that they need to work in Linux. You would need to research this on a machine to machine basis.
5. Any modern machine can do your workload no problem.
6. Targetting to last 10 years is basically wishful thinking.

amkc

So there are no laptops made in a reasonable way, none of them are meaningfully better, it isn't just my inability to search for those designed to really last. Perhaps I will just fix my laptop with a replacement battery and get past 10 years out of spite (and seeing if conditions improve). I'm already on year 7.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So there are no laptops made in a reasonable way, none of them are meaningfully better, it isn't just my inability to search for those designed to really last. Perhaps I will just fix my laptop with a replacement battery and get past 10 years out of spite (and seeing if conditions improve). I'm already on year 7.
Darren pretty much answered all your questions in his post. I suggest staying away from HP totally, not very good build quality. If used a lot, batteries will usually need to be replaced about every 2-3 years. As was said, CD drives are pretty much a thing of the past now. And unless you want to spend a couple thousand dollars on the rugged laptops, you won't find one that will take well to sand or water.
I really just want my laptop to last over a decade and maybe longer if I can repair it or eventually learn how to upgrade components with more confidence.

Lasting a decade is not gonna happen. Laptops these days don't have upgradeablility like they used to. Only upgradeable parts are the ram and HDD/SDD.

amkc

Well this is all very sad and I hope something can change soon. I don't know how that will happen though, honestly. Thanks to you both for responses.

Darren

Staff member
It's just the trend of consumerism and making things disposable and not built to last. Companies aren't motivated to build products that last forever because they want you back in a few years to buy a replacement. You see it from computers, appliances, tools, cars, everything. Sucks but how it is.

beers

Staff member
Eh, what you listed is pretty basic. I picked up a Dell 6420 ATG for like $20 as a garage computer, that system's over a decade old and 'handles' the requirements you have listed. Also put Ubuntu on it, *nix does seem happier with less resources and 8GB is a pretty good sweet spot for those environments, assuming your app itself doesn't require a lot.

connecting to software for my microscope, which is triocular and has a camera attachment... or rather TRYING to do that because I haven't gotten the software to work yet on my laptop and have had to borrow a friend's to make sure it wasn't a problem with the software/disc itself. Would really love to be able to have live video and camera visuals from my microscope for teaching
Is that a Windows binary? Some stuff doesn't work right even in WINE.

I really just want my laptop to last over a decade
Hah, I'm already considering what a RDNA3/Zen4 setup would look like, my laptop's only about 1.5 years old.

Darren

Staff member
@beers Actually you make a good point. A slightly used Dell Latitude would probably be one of the best bets for getting longevity. Granted I haven't seen their newer offerings as I'm not really in that space anymore for work, but man those early to mid 2010s Latitudes were tanks and definitely could run 10 years.

ThinkPad might be worth a look too.