Formatting C: + Installing OS

havok_wesley

I’ve got a Packard Bell 9029/3.

Spec.
· 133MHz Intel Pentium(R )
· 32MB RAM
· 2GB Hard Disk (ST32122A – what ever that means to anyone?)

Additions (from factory)
· LG 52x MAX CD-ROM Drive (replaced the original)
· Rivia TNT 16MB Graphics Card.
· Realtek RTL8139 PCI NIC

OK this computer I got in late 1997 with Windows ’95 (later upgraded to ’98 SE.) The computer I’m using at the moment became my main when I brought it early 2002, I networked the pair to make good use of my Internet connection and printer etc.

After time, the Packard Bell was really starting to slow up too much. And now we use my Mom’s laptop on the network to replace this.

I thought I’d format the hard disk, see if I could bring it back to life. I did so.

I got my Windows disks (have both ’95 and ’98 legit copies). When I put both disks in, after the A:/ has played it’s part an error message displays “Unable to detect CD-ROM drive. Please verify cables and try again.”

I’ve done this – the connections seem fine. Anyone know what the problem could be? I don’t trust myself enough to take out the drive in this PC and stick it in there to try.

The PC does have USB ports, I thought of using a “pen drive” I have, The ports are displayed in the BIOS but they’re not physically configured for use on the mother board, a techy confirmed this some years ago when we got a digi cam.

Anyone got any advice? Do I just put it on the scrap heap? I’d really like to have a play with some of my old 90’s games that won’t work with later versions of Windows, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I got my Windows disks (have both ’95 and ’98 legit copies). When I put both disks in, after the A:/ has played it’s part an error message displays “Unable to detect CD-ROM drive. Please verify cables and try again.”
I’ve done this – the connections seem fine. Anyone know what the problem could be? I don’t trust myself enough to take out the drive in this PC and stick it in there to try.
1. The W98 disc should be bootable
2. If not you'll need generic CDROM drivers on the boot disc

Fixed, easiest thing ever, the CD drive's now E: insted of
Or that :p