"Free WIFI"(?)

beers

Staff member
If guests aren't gonna be logging in, I'd just use a couple high end consumer grade routers.

For about the same price you can go with Ubiquiti equipment and a smart switch and can have infinitely more network flexibility.

You might as well do it right the first time.

PPBart

When I mentioned 40 patients earlier, I meant the total number of patients who would be treated during a full day, not potential guest users. Anyway, patients will not be granted guest access – at least, not initially. I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that my friend – think I’ll just call her “boss” from now on -- will change her mind about that later, since free WiFi has become so common.

I certainly agree with the comment about doing it right the first time. However, this seems like a simple setup and the boss will certainly challenge unnesessary complexity or system capabilities well beyond what is/will be needed. I’ve given this some thought, done some reading/research, and my first ideas about the network design are:
 ISP-provided DOCSIS3 Modem
 Router/Access Point (to service potential 2-3 tablets or laptops in use by staff)
 Switch (Would an unmanaged switch not be adequate? What useful benefit would a managed switch provide?)
 Desktop-1 (front desk / reception)
 Desktop-2 (nurse station)
 Desktop-3 (office)
 Laser printer (maybe 2)
 VoIP (?)

Clinic%20Net1_zps03o7l64t.jpg

Geoff

VIP Member
When I mentioned 40 patients earlier, I meant the total number of patients who would be treated during a full day, not potential guest users. Anyway, patients will not be granted guest access – at least, not initially. I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that my friend – think I’ll just call her “boss” from now on -- will change her mind about that later, since free WiFi has become so common.

I certainly agree with the comment about doing it right the first time. However, this seems like a simple setup and the boss will certainly challenge unnesessary complexity or system capabilities well beyond what is/will be needed. I’ve given this some thought, done some reading/research, and my first ideas about the network design are:
 ISP-provided DOCSIS3 Modem
 Router/Access Point (to service potential 2-3 tablets or laptops in use by staff)
 Switch (Would an unmanaged switch not be adequate? What useful benefit would a managed switch provide?)
 Desktop-1 (front desk / reception)
 Desktop-2 (nurse station)
 Desktop-3 (office)
 Laser printer (maybe 2)
 VoIP (?)

Clinic%20Net1_zps03o7l64t.jpg
I hate to say it, but if that's all you expect for client usage a high end consumer wireless router would probably suffice. If you do end up wanting guest network access, expect to replace your wireless router with a dedicated router and wireless access points, such as the Ubiquity products we mentioned earlier.

PPBart

... a high end consumer wireless router would probably suffice...

So we could delete the switch, just use the router? The boss insists that the PCs all be on cable, but the printer(s) can be wireless -- gotta have enough ports to plug everything in.

beers

Staff member
I mean what are your goals? Do you want to have desk phones or soft phones, or what is your reason for having voip? Given the previous discussion it sounds like 'the boss' wouldn't approve sufficient funding for a reasonable voip PBX if they can't even fund a basic enterprise grade network, so :confused:

Edit:
You may want to consider something like this : http://grasshopper.com/

Last edited:

PPBart

I mean what are your goals? ...

As I said, we haven't discussed VoIP yet, I just assume that will be part of the plan. I think the expectation is to purchase bundled internet/phone service from the ISP (either Eatel or Cox in this area); however, to my knowledge we haven't even contacted either of them yet. Probably there will be desk phones at front desk, nurse station, office.

I'm confused by your comment that "Given the previous discussion it sounds like 'the boss' wouldn't approve sufficient funding for a reasonable voip PBX if they can't even fund a basic enterprise grade network..." I've known her for several decades, she's smart (PhD) and experienced (20+ years in medicine) and knows what she wants from this project. So, she's not willing to waste money but I'm sure she is quite willing to fund whatever is needed to meet her objectives. That said, what would you propose as a "basic enterprise network" for a rural medical clinic staffed with 1-2 nurse practitioners and 2 admins, projected daily patient traffic of about 40-50, running EHR software?

Editted: And thanks for the link to Grasshopper -- that looks interesting!

Last edited:

PPBart

I hate to say it, but if that's all you expect for client usage a high end consumer wireless router would probably suffice. If you do end up wanting guest network access, expect to replace your wireless router with a dedicated router and wireless access points, such as the Ubiquity products we mentioned earlier.

To resume this thread...

Build-out for the clinic is progressing nicely, should be essentially done by mid-June. Plan is to open for patients on July 6th. Technology needs have also been clarified and refined a bit. This is a small rural clinic with a max staff of 3 (doctor, nurse, admin) employing two desktop PCs, 1-2 tablets, one shared printer. Primary software will be cloud-based EHR and MS Office Pro. ISP will be Eatel. No plans for public WiFi, but there may be a need for guest access for a second doc who may be using space to treat his patients one day per week.

Like suggested by Geoff above, the network advisor for Eatel said a high-end router would be sufficient and suggested Netgear Nighthawk or Linksys WRT1900AC or equivalent. Any experience here to consider choosing either of those?

C4C

+1 for the Netgear Nighthawk. I love it, it's speedy, and the interface is easy to use of you need to set stuff up. You can also set up to 4 bands of wifi (2.4 & 5GHz bands with guest networks for both).