Freeware Bootable ISO program

Da Mail Man

Greetings All,

Is there a freeware program that will work with "XP"?

1)...What I have done is copied files from a 4+GB dvd disc to a folder on my desktop...(I made sure to
uh-hide hidden files).

2)...I wish to take all those files which also contain a "setup" file and make a bootable iso/disc that,
when inserted into an optical drive, the computer will boot the "setup" file.

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:

OmniDyne

Daemon Tools was always my go-to for ISO burns on XP and Windows 7. It still appears to be operational.

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply.

I don't see anything about making a bootable optical disc in the description....I see about "mounting drives" but, that's about it.

Da Mail Man

Burn an Image wizard allows you to turn a virtual disc to a physical one.

Burn an Image wizard is a part of Disc Burn
paid group. Learn more about the features included in Disc Burn group in the relevant article.

To burn an image to disc, click Burn option in the sidebar, or in the main window, and choose Burn an Image from the catalog of wizards.

**I am looking to burn to a disc, not mount an image. Looking for freeware, not paid as highlighted above. Mounting or making a bootable dvd enables me to take disc out of the house..."Daemon Tools" Program is out....Thanks anyway.

strollin

In order for a DVD to be bootable, it needs to contain some minimal OS. Maybe what you really want is to make it so the disc automatically runs the setup file when inserted into the optical drive of an already booted computer?

OmniDyne

Burn an Image wizard allows you to turn a virtual disc to a physical one.

Burn an Image wizard is a part of Disc Burn
paid group. Learn more about the features included in Disc Burn group in the relevant article.

To burn an image to disc, click Burn option in the sidebar, or in the main window, and choose Burn an Image from the catalog of wizards.

**I am looking to burn to a disc, not mount an image. Looking for freeware, not paid as highlighted above. Mounting or making a bootable dvd enables me to take disc out of the house..."Daemon Tools" Program is out....Thanks anyway.

Ah, I thought it was free. So mounting is free, burning is not. Google will give you all sorts of answers for free burning programs. Nero may have a free solution, or just download Daemon Tools and see if it will burn for free.

Da Mail Man

In order for a DVD to be bootable, it needs to contain some minimal OS. Maybe what you really want is to make it so the disc automatically runs the setup file when inserted into the optical drive of an already booted computer?

####################

In order for a DVD to be bootable, it needs to contain some minimal OS.
???

Maybe what you really want is to make it so the disc automatically runs the setup file when inserted into the optical drive of an already booted computer?
CORRECT - MUCH LIKE COPYING AN OS FILE(S) (XP, 7, VISTA, ETC) TO ANOTHER DISC AND WHEN THE NEW DISC IS INSERTED, THE COMPUTER WILL BE "DIRECTED" TO THE SETUP FILE AND INITIALIZE IT....I WOULDN'T THINK THAT THE COMPUTER WOULD NEED ANY PART OF AN OS - EXAMPLE, A BARE BONES COMPUTER DOESN'T HAVE AN OS YET, WHEN DISC IS INSERTED THE COMPUTER LOCATES THE SETUP FILE AND INSTALLATION WILL BEGIN.

Da Mail Man

So you just need an XP installer? Your intent is unclear.

#################

No, I just used xp as an example....As stated, there is a setup file and need to create a disc that is bootable.

1)...I have a disc that contains a setup file.

2)...I un-hid any files/folders in same.

3)...I copied those files into a folder on desktop.

4)...I need to place those files that have been copied into the folder on desktop to a dvd disc.

5)...I need to make the dvd bootable so that when it is inserted into a computer, the computer will find the "setup" icon/file and initialize it.

Da Mail Man

Possibly I am wording this incorrectly....For example; If someone buys a "bare-balls" case and motherboard, hard drive, and builds a computer, etc etc, there is no OS - no nothing going on, just installed hardware.

Yet, the "builder" can take , say, an OS disc, slap it into an optical drive and the disc will "self-start" (for lack of a better term) and then, the contents of the disc will begin to load....

What I am attempting to do is the same thing - I want to create a disc that will auto start and initialize a setup file.

Last edited:

Reani Burr

Greetings All,

Is there a freeware program that will work with "XP"?

1)...What I have done is copied files from a 4+GB dvd disc to a folder on my desktop...(I made sure to
uh-hide hidden files).

2)...I wish to take all those files which also contain a "setup" file and make a bootable iso/disc that,
when inserted into an optical drive, the computer will boot the "setup" file.

Thanks for any assistance.
Are you interested in free software,as the person above said,Rufus is good at burning Windows iso for creating a Windows bootable disk,and ISO to USB is the same,including iSO Editor.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
What OS are you trying to install? You're making this way harder than it needs to be.

EDIT: Ugh...necro bump