Friend is Thinking About Having Me Build Him a System. Opinions welcome my build

2048Megabytes

Active Member
A friend is thinking about having me build him a system. Opinions are welcome on my build list. He is going to do gaming with older video games and use it for college.

Original Equipment Manufacturer Processor Cooler - $4
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-AMDA64&show=p

or

AMD Phenom II 960T 3.0 gigahertz (3.4 gigahertz Turbo) 95 Watt Quad-Core Processor - $125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103995

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 Socket AM3+/AM3 ATX Motherboard - $102
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-970AD3

Super Talent 4 gigabytes (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit RAM - $30
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=W1600UX4G9

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600 Watt Continuous Power Power Supply - $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...na&AID=10521304&PID=4169961&SID=14nw9xzp5xn8g

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320 gigabyte 7200 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive - $64
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005LGQMCS/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&condition=all

or

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1 terabyte 7200 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive - $77
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

Antec VSK-2000 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $54
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129069

LITE-ON DVD Burner Model iHAS224-06 DVD Drive - $21
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...05D&AID=10521304&PID=4169961&SID=l7j9t1ckmko7


MSI R6570-MD1GD3/LP Radeon HD 6570 1 gigabyte 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 Video Card - $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127585
 
Last edited:
The build looks good and on a budget that wont break the banks, the samsung 320gb hdd, couldn`t you make it a 1tb drive, here in the uk the difference between a smaller samsung hdd and a 1tb version is only about £5, so if its only a few $ more id up it to a tb, as far as the office bundle i cant say ive ever hear of that over here, you just get bare windows disc
 
If you're a student I think you can get Office for a lower price or free.
However it isn't bundled with the Windows disc.
 
mobo - I suggest get a slightly better motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198

PSU - EA650 is good. but you won't really need 650W. can consider cheaper 450W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207012

Antec Three Hundred Illusion - $55, free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

COOLER MASTER HAF 912, $60, MIR $10, free shipping

HDD - don't see the need of two seperate HDD. Just get 1TB and partition it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8697&cm_re=seagate_1tb-_-22-148-697-_-Product

Video card - should consider 5570 or 4670
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...61-315^14-161-315-TS,14-102-855^14-102-855-TS
 
The SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320 gigabyte hard drive has 148 megabyte per second read speeds. I doubt most hard drives can match these read speeds. I do not like buying bigger drives than 750 gigabytes because I hear they have higher failure rates.

Oops, I noticed that I forgot the DVD drive.
 
Really don't see the need of a 650W PSU for a 4650...I ran my 4850 on a 550W easy. I'd also get a better video card because sooner or later you friend will want to play the new games as well, w/o the lag.

Personally, I wouldn't get RAM with out a heatspreader, they are general the same price or maybe $5 more. And if you get the mobo daisy suggested, you can get this RAM for $45 if you buy it by the 7th http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231427

That RAM looks way badass anyway :P
 
Excellent suggestions thus far. I like the less expensive case Daisymtc and better video cards. I agree that that RAM is better as well 31!m!n80r.

I am going to keep this list handy. My friend is getting married soon and he wants to look into buying a new computer after his honeymoon is over. I will see what he decides.

Edit: I like the following parts:

PowerColor AX5570 1GBD3-H Radeon HD 5570 1 gigabyte 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 Video Card - $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131342

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

And this part that Benny Boy suggested:

LITE-ON DVD Burner Model iHAS224-06 - $26
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...C-040511-Index-_-CDDVDBurners-_-27106333-L05D
 
Last edited:
Back
Top