friends comp wont start

fade2green514

basically one day her computer just wouldnt start.

it would have the windows (XP professional) loading screen would just keep loading with the blue thing going across... it wouldnt freeze or anything, but im looking for suggestions.

what i figured i would try is hook up the hard drive to my computer and make sure its functional, maybe also scan it for a virus... idk.

tyvm in advance.

PC eye

banned
Sounds like time for using the Last known that worked option or manual startup of the system restore process through the Windows F8 boot menu. Right at the end of the post tests you tap the F8 key until that screen come up. If the Last Known Configuration That Worked option fails to see the desktop you then have to consider two more promising options.

The manual startup of the system restore process is done with the safe mode/command prompt only option selected. At the prompt that appears there you simply type in
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe the way it is seen here and then press the enter/return key. This command then brings up a familiar system restore screen you follow to select the date of any good points found.

The last option providing there is at least a recovery disk available before a repair install is to boot into safe mode and manually remove any recent programs added or any updates for video/sound that could be stalling Windows. Until you have confirmation of any virus or malware infection never rush to say virus! Often a bad install of drivers or something getting crosslinked by an installer will cause headaches.