Friends PC is buggered

Got a biggish problem here guys, I'm trying to diagnose my friends pc over msn :D... :(

It's crashing after producing beeps and ticking sounds, it also slows/freezes at every tick. ocassionaly the graphics cuts out completely and it makes buzzing noises when during the freezes in place of the sounds from a game.

Which component is it most likely to be?
 
Beeping sounds could be hardware codes or sound driver conflicts while running a game. Something like the cpu or video card overheating will also cause crashes. You wll have to inquire as to how the system is when not running any particular game or program to see if any hardwares are involved other then a program or driver glitch.
 
It seems to crash when any cpu intensive program is used.. although saying that it's managed to run a diagnostic program for an hour so far, it crashed imemdiately last time. It is hoever still making clicking sounds.

I assume it can't be a power supply problem then. I'm leaning towards hard drive.
 
The constant appearance of clicking sounds generally does point at a drive on the way out. When the heads on a drive are worn they slap against the drive's spindle explaining the clicking sound. You have that and temps to consider. Either or both will cause headaches fast enough.
 
Thanks so far!
Well he's had the case oopen and an external fan cooling it.
The harddrive is fine according to diagnostics... I was surprised.
Did an extensive memory, motherboard and cpu check, but it crashed before it could be completed ..

Tried the nvidia system monitor but when he tried to select monitors the graphics card cut out each time.
I guess it's a gpu problem.
 
Last edited:
overheating, bad hdd or bad psu

[
Tried the nvidia system monitor but when he tried to select monitors the graphics card cut out each time.
I guess it's a gpu problem.

try GPU-Z
 
It seems to pointing at the video card more then a drive. One long beep followed by two short generally points right at a bad card. With it overheating you may still hear that from an overheat protection circuit kicking in.

Have a spare card you can test? With that you would then be able to detect anything else seeing problems if not limited to the card alone.
 
Back
Top