FS: Mac G4

Lanther

u sold that system yet was looking for something like that for my wife she is just learning OS in school and could use something at home to play around on

SC7

You're best off on ebay. A lot of people like these older PowerMac G4s because they still boot into Classic mode. The newest faster G4s that superceeded this were unable to boot into classic. Many people will get these, and pay decent money, then get a sonnet upgrade card, so they can run Classic at as high as 1.8 GHz, (or 1.4 GHz and 2MB L3 cache).

SC7

Ku-sama said:
macs have a level 3 cache???
G4 processors up until the 800 MHz PowerMacs, and 1.4 GHz upgrade cards (1.25 mini/powerbook/iBook, for example, do not have it). This was partly in a panic response when Phil Schiller had a tough time pushing the 533 MHz G4 as a serious competitor to Intel's new 1.8 GHz Pentium 4. For over a year, Motorolla could not boost processor clocks at all, and it was really creating some problems.

SC7

Calibretto said:
I was looking on ebay and some were selling pretty well. I just don't like paying the fees but oh well.
Macs retain their value very well, especially these since they are the last computers to boot into OS 9 natively without classic, many people really want this.

jjbpenguin

I have never owned a mac and I am looking into buying a used g3 for fun and was just wondering, what is the big difference in g3 and g4, the one I am buying has the same processor speed and ram as this g4 but the hard drive is only 6 gigs. What does the G4 and G3 really mean?

SC7

The G4 is newer, has a faster bus, more cache, and sometimes even L3 cache. A G4 of the same, or even slower clock of a G3 would still crush it. In OS X, it's even more apparent, as the Altivec CPU extention, otherwise known as the velocity engine, is heavily optimised in OS X, and Much of it's core technologies, such as Corevideo. Overall, a G4 is much better than a G3.