Gaming CPU

Ankur

Well if you guys read the posts closely, StrangleHold is saying there is no Intel processor for 160 that would match 8120, whereas Intel side is saying for a few bucks extra you can get very good performance, both are right, but why would you spend 160 when you can get a big boost in performance with 50-60 $ more, but this comes when performance matters to you, but if it doesn't then you are better to go with 160$ AMD with a nice cooler. Hope this works!

BTW
WTH is sponge bob?
Spongebob009.gif

Children used to love it.

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
There doesn't seem to be a sensible $160 intel CPU period. At PCCG the most expensive i3 is the $149 i3 3240 but that's pretty much pointless CPU as the mere 100MHz slower i3 3220 only costs $129. Then the cheapest i5 costs $189, which is only $25 more but the FX is unlocked... FX-8120 costs $165, around where Intel seems to have an anomalous gaping black hole. I really don't know what I should compare it to.

Aastii

VIP Member
See this is the thing I dont get. When you say (When any of the i series processors outperform their AMD counterparts in the price range, why go AMD when performance is in mind?)

Thats really false. Forget the FX 8150, since the FX 8120 is unlocked it makes the 8150 pointless. The 8120 is 159 bucks. Your comparing any Intel 159 bucks or lower. You cant forget/leave out of the equation/ignore or say you cant rule it in, that all of the FX are unlocked and really easy to oveclock and meant to be. So to say that any intel in the same price range outperforms the AMD counterparts isnt so. The only way is to ignore the fact the AMD is unlocked. Or somehow it doesnt count just to fit the statement

When you look at the AMD/Intel pricing, AMD have smacked the 8120 in between the i3 and the lowest i5.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-367-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=1671

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-312-AM&groupid=701&catid=1967&subcat=1942

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-432-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=567

You dive into real world, you see that the i3 performs equally in most applications except for benches and heavily multi-threaded applications, which let's be honest here, very few people use regularly.

You go to the i5 instead and spend that little bit more, you have better performance out of the box, much, much lower power draw and you have to overclock that 8120 very high, increasing heat and power draw further, to even begin to match the i5.

If you want to talk about how the AMD's are unlocked, factor in the cost of an after market cooler that will allow it to get to high enough overclocks to match the i5's. Once you do that, you are equal on price near enough, so why go AMD when the Intel runs cooler and uses less power?

Virssagòn

VIP Member
You dive into real world, you see that the i3 performs equally in most applications except for benches and heavily multi-threaded applications, which let's be honest here, very few people use regularly.

You go to the i5 instead and spend that little bit more, you have better performance out of the box, much, much lower power draw and you have to overclock that 8120 very high, increasing heat and power draw further, to even begin to match the i5.

The fx is slower then an i3 in most benches and all singlethreading. The fx is faster then all i5's in heavy multithreading, but most of the time you don't need more then 4 threads.

Darren

Staff member
I skimmed the giant debate and don't want to take sides because I think both companies are better at different things.

OF NOTE though is that my Phenom II 955 at 3.2gHZ (stock) is seriously bottlenecking my video card in Guild Wars 2. Now that may be just this game but still, it is of note. I barely got better performance upgrading from a 5770 to 7850, which is almost double the graphics power.

However my 7850 also utterly chews up Skyrim at full settings 60 fps while my 5770 would have been doing about 15-20 fps on the settings I'm at now.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
I skimmed the giant debate and don't want to take sides because I think both companies are better at different things.

OF NOTE though is that my Phenom II 955 at 3.2gHZ (stock) is seriously bottlenecking my video card in Guild Wars 2. Now that may be just this game but still, it is of note. I barely got better performance upgrading from a 5770 to 7850, which is almost double the graphics power.

However my 7850 also utterly chews up Skyrim at full settings 60 fps while my 5770 would have been doing about 15-20 fps on the settings I'm at now.

The hd7850 would play every game at highest easy, so I also think your cpu is the badass.
You can't upgrade much, since the only 2 phenoms on the market are the 955 and the 965. And the 965 is just an oc 955.
So, you could oc your cpu or go for an i3 and a cheap board (which is not very expensive)

Darren

Staff member
The hd7850 would play every game at highest easy, so I also think your cpu is the badass.
You can't upgrade much, since the only 2 phenoms on the market are the 955 and the 965. And the 965 is just an oc 955.
So, you could oc your cpu or go for an i3 and a cheap board (which is not very expensive)

Well there's the whole FX line I could upgrade to....

Regardless I'm probably going to OC a bit. I'm just hoping the game becomes better optimized.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Well there's the whole FX line I could upgrade to....

Regardless I'm probably going to OC a bit. I'm just hoping the game becomes better optimized.

ow yes, sorry. xD
But it won't get better, even it's optimized.
Saw your video's from skyrim, and skyrim is good optimized cpu/gpu.

Aastii

VIP Member

Except for all the thuban chips, and that he has a 900 chipset board so every fx chip too...