Gaming laptops - What are some good companies to look at?

No laptop should need a laptop cooler. I would not keep on with a cooler, as the cooler shows that the computer is improperly made, or has parts that do not go well with it.

Gaming laptops are meant to be used on desks. If a laptop needs a cooler, it proves it is poorly made or cannot get rid of it's heat correctly. It is dangerous to the laptop, and what's this about 800c? I don't get what that means. Sure laptops may run better with coolers, but some notebooks have cooper heatpipe cooling and don't need extra parts. If a notebook overheats without extra parts, it should not be called a notebook.

Kill Bill

Gaming laptops are meant to be used on desks. If a laptop needs a cooler, it proves it is poorly made or cannot get rid of it's heat correctly. It is dangerous to the laptop, and what's this about 800c? I don't get what that means. Sure laptops may run better with coolers, but some notebooks have cooper heatpipe cooling and don't need extra parts. If a notebook overheats without extra parts, it should not be called a notebook.

I like to play on my lap.And what about Toshiba or alienware or dell that heats up.

sandlotje89

yes, travis is definitely correct -- GL's are not meant for laps! Which is something I was unprepared for. The cooling system is obstructed significantly. Mine was $3200 (Sony VGN-AR590E), so now I have to live with that factor. As a result, I don't really use my laptop anymore. I'm seriously considering getting a much more mobile laptop with no graphgics card. I think I should leave the graphics to the DT. I do think that cards will become much more energy efficient in the future, resulting in much less heat output; however, that is probably several years out.

CPTMuller

I had a Dell e1705, and the only thing that kept me from gaming with it in my lap was the fact that there was no place to put a mouse. :)

When we returned our first alienware laptop, we said it got too hot on our laps. Also, they said we could not base the heat as a problem, because the computer was a "notebook" not a "laptop". That is what they told us. That is why I am switching to the m15x that has more than 2x the battery life, and lower graphics card switchable modes.

You can use any notebook/desktop on a lap (20.1 inch hp hdx seen here)
32442902-2-300-lap-3.gif

from http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/32442902-2-300-lap-3.gif

Using gaming computers or big and heavy computers on a lap is generally not a good idea. A cooler on a lap would make the laptop wobble. No cooler would block the vents and burn your legs. If you do plan to do any lap work on a gaming computer which was ill advised by alienware staff, you should get one, but you shouldn't use it on a lap.

Geoff

VIP Member
You can't get the video card choices on laptops that you can on desktops. The Dell XPS line lets you select an 8600, 8700, 8800, and some SLI setups though.

The Dell xps notebooks can have nvidia 8700/8800 sli... But the 8800sli is a $1000 upgrade.

The Alienware Area-51 M9750 has one 8700, or two 8700's, and the Alienware Area-51 M15x is a 15" notebook with the 8600/8700/8800

The Lenovo Thinkpad T61P has a graphics card similar to the 8600 in performance.

The Dell XPS notebooks ($999 ones) have the 8600m gt graphics card or 8400.

These are all good options for graphics cards in a laptop. Granted, they are not as good as triple SLi 9800gx's, but they are good for laptop gaming.

HumanMage

I would take a look at Asus. I own a G1 and absolutely love it. It would use every bit of your budget though, they range in price from 1.6K - 2K dollars. I suggest this because I believe you get what you pay for, and their build quality is very good..take a look :D