Gettind sound on Laptop with hdmi/out

Estam

Windows XP Pro on HP DV7 entertainment laptop, Nvidia digital audio card to watch movies.

I am trying to get my laptop speakers to work when hdmi output is connected to TV.

Laptop hdmi is plugged into my TV and is cloned. The speakers on my laptop have now become muted and the speakers on my TV work fine. Laptop is in my office and for reasons I would like un-mute the laptop speakers and have them operate also.

Any suggestions please.

Darren

Staff member
Unrelated but just a warning, those machines had a recall for their GPU dying/overheating. My old shop had literally hundreds of those that all died, so just something to be aware of. Was a design flaw with the motherboard.

Estam

Darren, yes, my daughter passed me her dv7 due to overheating and graphics just quitting. Took it apart to find a flimsy seems like spongy sticky deal that is probably some kind of heat transfer material that didn't quite fit. Was between the gpu and the tin under the keyboard that probably is designed to transfer the heat away. I tried googling the problem and didn't find really any answers. It lays downstairs on my workbench.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah at my shop the only repair was replace the motherboard which obviously isn't worth it anymore.