Getting into tape drive

At what point is it practical to get into tape drives?

As far as cost of tape drives over just getting multiple HDD's?

Is there a benefit with tape over HDD's with durability for archival storage?

What do you recommend for a basic tape drive?

Thanks

Intel_man

VIP Member
Probably when you're trying to archive hundreds of terabytes of storage. The tape storage reader/writer is pretty expensive. The tapes themselves are pretty cheap though... relatively speaking.

Like it really depends if you plan on accessing these archives frequently or not.

I'd have maybe 25 TB and would like a couple of back ups. So 75TB at the most. Looks like the drives cost a few thousand each. But hard to find info on them. Maybe there are some cheaper. I would be scanning 16mm movies and end up with induvial TIFF or jpeg files of each frame of film. Individual frame by frame scans generate lots of size. My movies would be 5 min to 15 minutes for the most part. Not monster feature films.

Another option is to use 'M' discs. Some of them go pretty high in capacity...for a DVD.

_Kyle_

I'd have maybe 25 TB and would like a couple of back ups. So 75TB at the most. Looks like the drives cost a few thousand each. But hard to find info on them. Maybe there are some cheaper. I would be scanning 16mm movies and end up with induvial TIFF or jpeg files of each frame of film. Individual frame by frame scans generate lots of size. My movies would be 5 min to 15 minutes for the most part. Not monster feature films.

Another option is to use 'M' discs. Some of them go pretty high in capacity...for a DVD.

At the capacity you plan compared to price I would get several 10tb HDD's.

I got some 10tb Iron Wolf HDD's but they wont run with my computer. For some reason they don't show up when plugged in. I get a beep, the HD's whirl, but never show up.

My external setup works with a 2tb Barracuda drive, but not the 10's. I wonder if there is a limit the computer will run. I have some HP slims Win 10 with 8RAM and 1 TB HDD. I also tried the Iron Wolf on a HP laptop and no go. Does not show up.