GF2 MX200 32MB vs. XFXGeForce MX4000 64MB

virginiajack

I guess everyone here is using hotdog video cards but me -- currently GF2 MX200 32MB w/TV SVHS.

Question: I can get a new XFXGeForce MX4000 64MB card for $15 -- would it make much difference for me?

I'm using WinXP on a PC with 1476 MHz and 512 RAM. It has a Gigabyte GA-7VTXE MoBo with a 4x AGP slot.

4W4K3

VIP Member
For $15 i think it'd be a wise upgrade and you should notice a boost in performance if you do any gaming.

Not everyone is using newer cards lol...im on a 9200, recently was on an MX440 64MB card. It's all good:)

4W4K3

VIP Member
virginiajack said:
Do I assume correctly that a 8x AGP card will do fine in a 4x AGP slot?

i believe so. My card is 4X/8X and it will run in 4X mode. I think all 8X cards are backwards compatible, but check to make sure.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Question: I can get a new XFXGeForce MX4000 64MB card for $15 -- would it make much difference for me?
The GF4000 will be a noticeable improvement actually :) I did an upgrade from GF2MX to GF4MX on my secondary box a couple terms ago and the notice is indeed there ... and for $15 its a very good upgrade

Do I assume correctly that a 8x AGP card will do fine in a 4x AGP slot?
If you put an 8X card intoa 4X slot then the card runs at 4X
:)

virginiajack

>If you put an 8X card in to a 4X slot then the card runs at 4X<

OK -- and you're saying that the improvement will be noticible anyway, I take it. :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
OK -- and you're saying that the improvement will be noticible anyway, I take it.
Quite correct, although the GF4000 isnt the best card, its more than capable of surpassing the GF2MX you've got there :)

virginiajack

Thanks for the info!

I notice on the new XFXGeForce MX4000 64MB card that there is no RCA type AV OUT jack like is on my current GF2 MX200 32MB card -- what exactly am I losing without that jack? :eek:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
what exactly am I losing without that jack?
The ability to connect your computer to a TV either indepdently or simultaneously. Generally not a big deal

virginiajack

Thanks for the input -- yeah, I can't see the need for it -- the monitor is crisper anyway -- when would you even find output to a TV useful? :confused:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes but a lot of projectors use component connectors (and some monitors also have component connectors)