going from barton to Amd 64bit

HotRodderx

what kinda diffrence should i see if i upgrade from a XP2500 Barton running 1.8 ghz to a AMD Athlon 64 2500+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor
i am thinking i will a little even thought they are running the same speed due to one has a intagrated fsb...... but i also wonder if maybe going with a xp3200 with a 333fsb would be quicker then the 64bit
also one other quick question what is the mobile serials of amd processes i have seen them popuping up lately and have no clue what they are thanks guys for the help just not very good with processes to many number ;)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
to a AMD Athlon 64 2500+,
Not a lot since that doesnt exist :p (its the 3500+)

but I also wonder if maybe going with a xp3200 with a 333fsb would be quicker then the 64bit
1. The XP2500 runs on a 333Mhz FSB
2. The A64-3500 runs on a 2GHz "FSB"

You'll notice an earthshattering difference :)

HotRodderx

holy cow yea that crazy i think it will diffenlty be a huge diffrence cant wait to november hope i have the moeny bye then to upgrade what board should i go with

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Ya basicly the FSB on the 64 chips are a Hyper Transport link so whatever the speed of the chip is the Link runs that speed but you'll still be limited to whatever the mobo is so look for one that has something like 800mhz Hypertransport link (FSB) or greater.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ya basicly the FSB on the 64 chips are a Hyper Transport link so whatever the speed of the chip is the Link runs that speed but you'll still be limited to whatever the mobo is so look for one that has something like 800mhz Hypertransport link (FSB) or greater.
Heres the breakdown:
Socket754/Some Socket940s -- 800Mhz HT (1600DDR) (with the exception of the nForce150 which runs at 600Mhz/1200DDR)

Socket939 -- 1000Mhz HT (2000DDR)