Good headset or headphone?

Troncoso

VIP Member
The Audio-Technica ATH-M50x are awesome. Get those. Though, if you don't care for the detachable cable, go for the ATH-M50.

Last edited:

AnonNone

But he has a realtek onboard sound controller. Not worth buying expensive headsets for, even if what you claim about HDPP is correct. Which it isn't.

In what way am I not correct about HDPP? Once again you provide no proof of concept and just say something you believe is correct, on the other hand however I could literally post at least thousands of photos of headsets/phones that use plastic in the worst ways (which honestly, is any) that have been broken because of bad design, stress fractures due to plastic at the earcup joint, or not thick enough at the headband, or not thick enough in the arm (though plastic should NEVER be used here). So show me some solid proof that your idea is correct and I will tip my hat to you, until then I just have to assume you are either trolling me or you really just don't care about quality (using Logitech headsets speaks volumes to me though).

What are you talking about? Skype is compressed audio and you don't even know what sound card he has? Its probably just Realtek.

The fact that he's going to gaffer tape the microphone on is ridiculous. And seinheiser aren't very good anyway. Secondly the G35s are rock solid, and don't have any issues around the earcup joint....

Thirdly the G35s have almost the exact same frequency response, have twice the number of drivers per cup, higher impedance and 7.1 rather than just stereo. Secondly they have a built in mic, and are half the price.

So unless he has a top range sound card he'd be a fool to spend the money on what is a rip off.

EDIT: And yes, I know I used the same picture I used before, I could look up more broken G35s, but again, I don't like wasting my time on things that should be your responsibility.

Attachments

• 5FxqZ.jpg
    5FxqZ.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Okedokey

Ive provided you with specifications showing that the audio quality of the headset you suggested is actually inferior, ive provided you with first had experience with the set i am proposing, ive provide the fact that he is using a realtek onboard controller which is garbage, and ive suggested that for the price, the soundcard and the use case, its a complete and utter waste of money getting anything expensive. If he wants to spend 200 pounds on a set of headphones, then that is the OP's decision, however his money would be better spent on a cheaper headsset and a better sound card.Anyone who breaks a set of G35s is careless, that is all, same with any equipment.

Please quit the epic quoting and bs as our points have been made, it is now up to the OP.

AnonNone

Ive provided you with specifications showing that the audio quality of the headset you suggested is actually inferior, ive provided you with first had experience with the set i am proposing, ive provide the fact that he is using a realtek onboard controller which is garbage, and ive suggested that for the price, the soundcard and the use case, its a complete and utter waste of money getting anything expensive. If he wants to spend 200 pounds on a set of headphones, then that is the OP's decision, however his money would be better spent on a cheaper headsset and a better sound card.Anyone who breaks a set of G35s is careless, that is all, same with any equipment.

Please quit the epic quoting and bs as our points have been made, it is now up to the OP.

I don't believe they have been adequately made, as I could point out more flaws in your argument however this will be my last post and I will say only one last thing. It is a very bad idea to spend any money on something that will likely break due to faulty design, the Sennheiser pair he picked out will last him a lifetime even if he doesn't treat them well as it is almost all metal and what other material than metal that is used seems securely jointed and sturdy enough. Yes, let him make his own decision whether to spend money on something that will likely break, or something that will last him his life and beyond probably.

Last edited:

CrayonMuncher

you can also go for a pair of HD518s, they are cheaper than the HD558 and people over at head fi question if there really is any justification in the higher price.

This is irrelevant for the op: As for headphone sound quality it is worth noting when you move to high end headphones, as in really expensive, personal preference of sound becomes a factor, eg some may like perfect frequency response, some heaver bass some may prefer slight edge toward treble and so on, it is not just about tech specs and reviews.

I have used sennheiser for years and have had several of their headphones and the build quality is great. The HD518s I own have the same head band as the one in the previous pic and you would have to give it a serious beating to snap it like that, mine have been thrown/knocked around and they still work as new. My CX 980s (in ears) have also been used extensively and have been drooped, left outside in the wet (fell out my pocket), caught on door handles, been around the world with me several times etc and they also work as new, and have done for well over two years.

I agree with what PCunicorn said re on board sound and headphones, my headphones drastically improved the audio from both my onboard and soundcard (now I have an external DAC/AMP in preparation for the high end headphones I will buy soon, that also made them sound even better)

The momentums do seem to have good reviews but the hd5xx are more audiophile level and the HD6XX are def at that level and can be had for similar prices. Just checked the momentums and I couldn't justify spending $199 for an 8/10 product when the HD518s are 129 and 10/10 product, however they are two different products HD518s are aimed at home use whereas momentum's are portable. Similarly I found a pair of momentums at £200 yet HD650's can be had for £250, however you need to have the right gear to drive those cans

Basically OP are these headphones going to only be used for home audio/skype? If so, and you don't go with an integrated headset/mic, you will want to look for home audio headphones, and preferably go to a store where u can try them out to see if they will good for your needs (eg comfortable for long term wearing) also if you plan to also use them for portability be sure not to buy headphones with high impedance unless you have a seriously good music player to drive them, this will cause the sound produced to be quiet. The momentums will be fine @ 18ohms however the 38Ohms on the other set may be pushing it slightly (this is much less of a concern for pc use >50ohms will be should be just about ok, such as the HD518 or 558, HD6xx would be out of the question)

Overall the HD518 or 558, would be a good choice for home audio use, however the HD518s at least are a bit light on bass, but there are many options out there from several companies

Last edited:

dragonair9

Sorry for the very late response (was on holiday), but I've decided to get the Xonar DG headphone amp from ASUS with the headphones (ath-m50x). I should have made this clear but I will sometimes use the headphones for outdoors use. But one thing is for sure, I won't be only using them for gaming/skype.

EDIT: or should I get the FiiO e6? (about the same price)

Last edited: