Good overclocking mobos-I'm gonna try it

wesa

Is there a certain type that is most easily overclocked? I'm thinking about getting an intel cpu, since i read that they overclock "better" i guess. I've never done this before, but i'd like to try it. I hope i'm not just wasting my money in trying to save money by screwing something up when i try to do it. :(

4W4K3

VIP Member
well if you do go intel expect to pay more money generally. as far as overclocking "better" i have no idea what that means. its true you can get a huge overclock with an intel chip and good board ram...but i've seen just as big of an overclock on an AMD...i dont get the point of one being "better". if your definetly set on Intel then someone else will have to help you, im not an expert on latest Intel hardware. i know the 2.4C, 2.6C, 2.8C CPU's are all good overclockers but kinda old...not too $$$ really. that and you will need faster/more expensive if you want like a 800mhz+ overclock. PC2700/PC3200 has its limits when you overclock that much. i know PC4000 is pretty popular right now...a few of my friends use it with there P4P800 Deluxe boards (i think thats a good overclocking one) also IC7-MAX3 is pretty popular..has a few probs though i believe with voltage reading. dont quote me on any of this though lol..im all AMD fingers :D

EDIT: i just read the Asus P4C800-E was a good performer in its day (still good?)...might look into that board.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
EDIT: I just read the Asus P4C800-E was a good performer in its day (still good?)...might look into that board.
I believe it still is the premier board for it's class (and by non-insignificant margins at that) however realistically, the PC4C800 and IC7Max3 are both top notch boards. :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
I believe it still is the premier board for it's class (and by non-insignificant margins at that) however realistically, the PC4C800 and IC7Max3 are both top notch boards. :)

yay im not dumb! a while ago i wasworking on an abit IC7max3 board, with a 2.6C and geil PC3200 stick...got to 3.2ghz b4 it started acting up...guy had water cooling though. only Intel i ever overclocked b4 lol. i liked the BIOS layout...u might get that board, i think its pretty newbie friendly (me being newb) :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The IC7Max3 is a very superb board (in fact i'm lookin at it for a P4 system i'm building, although i'll probably opt for the non-OTES one). The nice thing about intel chips is, if you're running a vapor cooler youo can get those things mighty high :D