Got a problem, need experts!!

v62kaccord

ok guys to make the story short.. i just got a new comp cuz my old comp just wouldnt come on anymore.. i took the old comp's hdd and put it as a slave on the new comp, but because i had put a pw on my username on my old one i can't access my files!!! ahhhhhh so what do i do to regain access.. when i put the old hdd as a master, it just would not boot and keeps restarting the computer because i guess there's something wrong (i think a virus).

still kinda long sorry

thnx for ur help in advance

[tab]

[...]
If you mean you set NTFS permissions then you should be able to use your Administrator account to take ownership of the files, then change the permissions.

v62kaccord

what do you mean ntsf permissions? :confused:

ok my old hdd had a windows xp, and u know the log on screen.. i had like 3 names 1 for me, my bro, and sis.. well i wanna recover all those stuff by putting it as a slave drive on this new comp but i cant cuz it won't give me access to it.. :( help

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
try using the administrator account, it should have unrestricted access to everything

v62kaccord

Cromewell said:
try using the administrator account, it should have unrestricted access to everything

well i can't reboot on that hdd and log in as an administrator, it would just keep rebooting the computer, i guess tehre's a virus or something...i can see the files that are in the hdd if i put it as a slave.. but i can't get the stuff in user's folders cuz it's not accessible.. any way to go around it?

v62kaccord

i still can't :( oh well, does anyone know a good virus scanner that will scan the virus in there..? i had norton in there but it did jack

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
what do you mean ntsf permissions?
NTFS adds on FAT32 by adding header info to sector data that defines who/what can access data

Except if the other accounts have EFS on (i think then again I never had a problem getting around that either)

i still can't
Cant what> If you "cant" then that means the drive is toasted (physically)